Do your kids watch tv before school?

I don't like that mine do, and I am thinking of stopping this practice.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• um ...my 3yo son watches TV as i'm in the shower. ...but if DH were home (he's military) or if DS were older then no. the TV would never be turned on as we are getting ready for our day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No. We have a set routine that does not include television. We get up, get dressed, medicines/vitamins, brush teeth, eat, play in the play room for as long as it takes to get the car packed and then go. It is not rushed but it is packed. We are a fine tuned machine. We also read while we are doing our nebulizer treatment for his asthma. So lots of cuddle time and we also have family snuggle before we get going and get dressed. That time wrestling in bed and playing gives us time to shake off that I-don't-want-to-get-up blues.
    Anonymous

• No tv before school because my daughter will never get ready.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The news is on, they don't even look at it.... They are up at 6:30 have to eat, get dressed, brush teeth, and get out to the bus by 7:25.. No time for it anyway...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• She watches the news. We wake up at 6 and she is dressed and ready in 10 minutes. She usually has a little something before school and a cup of juice or milk. I like to watch the news with my coffee and she likes to watch it with her juice.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The only program I every let my kids watch before school when they were young was the news...and now they are teens & get themselves up & lo & behold I hear the NEWS on when I wake up! They turn it on themselves and actually watch it! Amazing eh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No time for tv. My son can waste enough time without the help of tv.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My kids watch the news every morning. I don't know they choose the news- maybe because it just became routine but that's what they choose to watch until the bus comes. My kids have always liked watching the news though. I find my 12 year old in his room with the TV on CNN........lol
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• When everything is done if there is still time before school starts then they will sit down and watch a few minute of t.v.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Never! I don't even turn on the TV in the mornings. Our routine is breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth and hair, check to make sure homework, etc is in the backpacks and out the door! We don't have a lot of extra time in the mornings for TV anyway. If you do (the kids need something to do while you're finishing getting ready), try an alternate activity such as reading, doing a puzzle, or--god forbid--they can make sure their rooms are clean and beds are made, if they don't do that in the A.M. already. Perhaps you can save morning TV for Fridays. I let my kids have/do a couple of special things on Fridays so we get the weekend off to a good start (like watching a DVD before bed, and having a semi-sweet after school snack). I do whatever I can to keep TV watching to a minimum and my girls think of the TV as sort of a "special" thing since they don't get to watch it every day.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009