Has anyone done co-sleeping? If so, for how long?

When did you transition to their own bed and how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• co-sleeping is what lazy parents do... just sayin...
    Anonymous

• who are you to say that? i have three kids and 7, 4, and 20 months. i am for dang sure not lazy, my 4year old doesnt like the dark, so she sleeps with her sister (7) only if she asked her sister and she said yes, b/c they both like to hav a light, my hubby works third and my 20month old will not sleep with a light so he sleeps with me. the kids rooms are infront of the house and ours is in the back, so, Dont call me lazy b/c i dont mind if they feel safe and they get a good sleep even if they are with me, I would lik 4 him to b in his bed, but i wouldnt leave him in the front of the house alone, what kind of mother would i be then, our 4 year old slept with us until about 2 years ago!! they feel safe beside me while daddy is gone at night. when he is ready (older) he will sleep in his room and my hubby dont mind and we still get "our" time ,
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• uhhh...lazy? no I am not lazy! Our son does not have a room of his own so he sleeps with me. I have 3 other girls, one is autistic and requires her own space, the other 2 have aroom they share.
    My bedroom is not big enough for 2 beds so hubby sleeps on couch and my son with me.
    When it comes time to transition my son to his own room I will let him have a theme and string up some lights, give him a walkie talkie so he can reach me if he gets scared. I do plan on him being out of my room by kindergarten. By then at least 1 girl will have moved on and he can have that bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have 3 kids who all slept with us and I tell you one damn thing- LAZY is not even remotely close to a word to describe me and my husband.
    Co-sleeping is a choice and my husband and I didn't mind it. My kids slept with us for a long time. They had their own rooms and most nights, they would start off in their rooms and through the night would end up in our rooms. When my boys were babies, their crib was in MY room. That is what WE chose to do. We felt more comfortable having them with us. By the time they started school, they were moved to their rooms full-time. My youngest is 9 and there's some nights, he'll end up in our room. He'll make him a pallet and sleep on the floor.

But to say someone is lazy because of a choice they make is real bitchy
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have co-slept with my son since he was born, so just going on 4 years now. He is able to sleep in his own room or mine and he sleeps in his own room at his father's house. Transition was pretty simple - just getting him excited about being a big boy, helping to decorate his own room with decals, letting him know that I'm still there for him, no CIO but rather filling his bedtime routine with lots of interruptions so that I would leave the room for longer and longer periods of time (always coming back when I said I would) until he fell asleep waiting for me. He can fall asleep on his own in either bed, but he prefers to sleep in mine; however, he also knows that sleeping in my room comes with rules he needs to follow, like being able to listen and settle down when it's time for bed. Behaviors like tantrums automatically get him sent to his room.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The choice is really yours. i have known people who have done it, and for all of them, it was very difficult to get kiddo to sleep in thier own bed. For our family, the babies slept in a bassinet next to the bed till they grew out of it. I will admit sometimes I was down right exauhsted in the begining and would alow them in bed long enough to nurse. Then back to thier beds. Crib time was usually in my room as well because of space issues. They all currently have and sleep in thier own rooms. There have been times as tots that we had to send them back to thier own beds, but I think all kids go through that. Now, the only times that they bunk with us is when dad is deployed, so mom doesn't have to be lonely according to them. Or when dad is in port, they are allowed to come and camp on the floor once in a while. If not that we all camp out in the living room. Good luck!
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 3:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• As long as needed, about 1 1/2 to 2 is as long as I can see it continuously in my family, but we sometimes have a few 'sleep overs' either my space or theirs a little while longer than that.
    something funny happens in the minds of little ones, around 3 they get somewhat self aware of their limitations and imaginary fears embody, so I'm not one to deny those feelings and play the hardass toughlove act on them! sometimes kids need to feel like they still have that space with their parents.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I co-slept with my first two until #3 came becuase there wasnt anymore room. So my oldest was 4 and youngest was 2. I put there beds next to mine and i slowly moved it over to the far wall after about 2 weeks. I also potty trained and took the pacifiers aways at the same time. I just said "this is whats happening your gonna do it." After about 3 weeks of them in my room in there beds i moved them into there room. In the beginning i would stay in there until they fell asleep, but eventually they got use to there room. After about 2 months i told them time for bed they went into there room and went to bed. Of course if they got up i took them back to bed.

I think the best way is gradual. Toddler bed next to you that way you can hold there hand or whatever they usually do. Then slowly move them away from the bed.
    My 2.5 year old goes back and forth sleeping in our bed or hers. It doesnt matter to me and hubby
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 6:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I co slept with all of my babies. I usually transitioned when I weaned from breastfeeding about a yr. My longest co-sleeper is my 3 yr old she likes to sleep in my bed but I have to kick her out when I have one of the twins nursing with me. If I have both of the twins my hubby sleeps on the couch
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I co-slept all my kids from birth. When they are infants it makes me feel safer having them right there. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until he was like 2, and I took him out of my bed around the same time, lol. My middle son co slept til he was about 6 months old. My youngest coslept til he was like 4 months or around there. I did it until everyone became uncomfortable, then just dealt with whatever they did when made to sleep in their own beds. My middle son will come on our room early in the morning sometimes to cuddle and wake up with Mom and Dad.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2009