how do you get your kids to wash their hair?

my DD hates washing her hair. it turns into a screaming fight every time. she wont hold her head back and hates the water being poured over her. i tried having her put a washrag over her eyes but it didnt work. the visor thing doesnt work either. and when i tried to let her do it she wont.

jody1130

Asked by jody1130 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well we don't have that problem, abel pours the water on his head himself. have you tried this? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2793366&CAWELAID=107509910

abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• that looks neat but it wont work for her im sure... thanks hough. if i go to babies r us i will pick one up just to see
    jody1130

Answer by jody1130 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Maybe try a snorkel/swim goggles to keep it out of her eyes/mouth/nose? Or earplugs to keep it out of her ears so she can lie back in the water? I would try swim goggles or masks to help keep it out of her eyes.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It used to take the buddy system, me with her struggling flipped out in the bathtub and him rinsing to ensure the crust from her scalp {yay hereditary daddy dander, ugh! i still hardly believe}
    somehow mane and tail shampoo struck her fancy at the store suddenly and she just needed it, so I got it and she washes hair herself now! my others were a little of a pain too, but they didn't have the recurring scabby grossness of this one, so a little less was expected.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My daughter is 3 she use to hate washing her hair then we acted like we were at a water park and when she was ready for the bucket to be poured on her head she would push the pretend button
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I started putting water on my kids faces from infancy so I wouldn't have this issue when they got older. My three year old doesn't really like bath time but he deals and doesn't flip out either. I just figured that if having water on/in their face became a normal thing it wouldn't raise issues, so far so good. Now I know you can't do that because that infant stage is gone, lol. I would just try to involve her in the process as much as possible. Let her choose which kid shampoo she wants, but let her know that because she gets to choose she has to allow her hair to be washed or something like that. the other suggestions sound like good ideas too.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I started putting water on my kids faces from infancy so I wouldn't have this issue when they got older.

I actually did the same thing when she was a baby. it just slowly turned into this hatred for water on her face. She is getting a little better bc i let her wash my hair. I also used one of her play teapots to rinse her hair and she was a lot better with that.

jody1130

Answer by jody1130 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I put the shower head on gentle, and tell them it is just like rain. I let them hold a dry washcloth over their eyes.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2009