How bad was the pain of labor?

I plan to get an epidural and anything else I can get! But I'm still really afraid of the pain.... if you had an epidural how bad was the pain??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The pain with an epidural is... none! I could still feel when I had contractions but it wasn't pain.
    Before I had my epidural it was uncomfortable... but I think I could have tolerated the pain if I had been allowed out of bed. I eneded up with a C-section anyway... and that didn't hurt much either.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had to be induced and dialated so fast at the end that I was in a LOT of pain even with the epidural. It definitely doesnt feel good but it really isnt as bad as you are probably fearing it is. Its not so bad that you regret going through it. And its not so bad that you probably wont want to do it again. You pretty much forget about it. You will be sore but its not so bad. You will have a beautiful little baby! :) Good luck!
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I LOVED being in labor. I actually want to do it again, lol. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say the pain was a 7... it was more INTENSE than painful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• BTW... I had a natural 25 hour labor, just to clarify. The others said they had an epidural, so I just wanted to state that I didn't. No epidural to blame for my love of labor :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I was induced w/ both kids. They gave me the epidural at about 4 cm. Pain was like a ferocious period cramp but I could deal with it at that point (low pain threshold). Just make sure the batteries in the epidural machine are new and for heaven's sake don't go into the hospital too late or you'll miss it. How many women miss it is amazing. Go and just sit until it happens. I was SO terrified of giving birth I used to cry on the couch with my cat. With the drugs it's a piece of cake, REALLY!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I remember saying I was done having kids but I can't remember why now LOL. It was very painful and my epidural didn't fully work but I don't regret a thing. Walking the galls was the worst part though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had back labor (no epidural or other pain medication) and as long as i was moving around, walking, taking showers etc..it wasn't really bad. I would suggest you prepare for dealing with the pain regardless of wanting an epidural because they do not always work.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Its all a mind over matter thing really mama, please do your research and read up on the possible side effects of the drugs you say you will be choosing to take during labor....I dont say this to preach at you, I say this because when I learned of all the side effects it really scared me and with my last child I had a totally pain med free vaginal delivery (a VBAC as well) and it went great!
    The more you educate yourself the less afraid you will be and more prepared to possibly birth without the assistance of medication.
    Also know that whatever you take can and will (even if in small amounts) pass to the baby, and I often wonder why we avoid all "bad" things like alcohol and drugs and other things while we are pregnant because we dont want them to pass to baby but then on delivery day we pump ourselves full of all kinds of drugs, that just doesnt make sense to me.
    Good luck, I hope you will explore some natural options!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thanks Moms! I am reading up on this a lot but like to hear some real life stories! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Labor was designed to bring you from timid little girl to full on empowered she lion/momma bear willing to lay down her life for her cubs and confident that nobody better mess with her. Labor is your friend. Not something to fear. You can do this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009