How bad was the pain of labor?

I plan to get an epidural and anything else I can get! But I'm still really afraid of the pain.... if you had an epidural how bad was the pain??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Every mom I know who has given birth with an epidural, me included, has said the same thing... it really wasnt THAT bad! I didn't feel a bit of pain during the birth but could still feel all of the sensations and was perfectly alert. Afterwards you'll be sore but nothing you can't handle. Don't be scared. Its really not as bad as all the movies and stuff hype it up to be. Really! If it were women wouldn't have more than one! lol
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had 2 epidurals and one natural. The natural was absolutley crazy insanley painful. The worst evver and nothing will compare to it. The first epidural I had worked amazingly! I didn't feel a thing after I had it. getting there was a little rough though, but that is expected. The second one I had didn't work!! and again the whole thing was very painful! however, I promise once that baby is out you don't feel it anymore! at least untill the adrenaline calms down!
    momcatx3

Answer by momcatx3 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• So what do they do for you if your epi doesn't work? Keep trying or give you something else? Or was it too late by then??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• after i had the epideral i didnt feel pain haha i felt like i was gunna poop my pants... they said it was the baby coming down lol and when ur pushing they turn it off or really far down. i only pushed for 15 mins but by the time i was done and they were stitching me up (i tore) i felt it. but then ur babys there and thats all ur consintrated on lol and hours later i hurt so bad to move cuz of the stitches and it hurt so bad to sit down for liek a week after but they will give u pain meds... i just didnt really take them
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I actually made it to 7 cm before I had mine done (I had emergency c-section). The pain wasn't as bad as I had anticipated but had I not had to have one for the c-section I wouldn't have gotten one. It wasn't so bad that I thought that I needed it. I was doing Okay on pain med via IV. I would just do what ever will make you feel comfortable but don't worry about the pain. That is the last thing that should be on your mind.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Mine wasnt to bad when i got the epidurall.. Because I waited as long as I could. I ended up getting four shots of pitocin because I couldnt feel my contractions. Once I had the epidural though It was all pressure from there no Pain
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I pushed for 2 hours!! But all worht it!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The pain wasn't bad at all. The reason I got an epi was because I wasn't dilating, and I needed to get some rest. If I hadn't been so exhausted from not sleeping the night before, I never would have gotten it. After I had it though, it only worked on half of my belly. It was an unusual feeling.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had an epidural with my first baby. The whole thing was actually very easy and fairly pain-free. There was a lot of pressure and I felt like I really had to struggle to push, but it really was nothing like I was afraid of. With my second, he came too fast, and I had no time for any pain relief. That's a whole other story. You should do lamaze anyway in case you have a situation like mine and can't get the epidural. I think it would have made my son's birth more enjoyable for me.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 1:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My first son was natural and the pain was undescribable!
    I had an epi with my other 2 and even though it still hurt, the pain was nothing like not having it.
    It's going to hurt no matter what but an epi makes it bearable.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009