Correlation between Pro-Life and anti-public assisstance?

This is a spin-off of another question I was reading. One of the answers got me thinking. I see many people on here complaining about abortion, but many who reply that way also disagree with public assisstance. So, here is a question:

What about a woman who is on birth control, which fails, who is already on public assisstance (or one child away from public assisstance), who gets pregnant? If she has an abortion, she is critisized (even though she knows she cannot afford another child). But if she has the child she is critisized because she is on (or will now have to apply for) public assisstance.

To me to be against abortion or birth control, you would have to agree that the consequences may be more people on public assisstance.

As for adoption, this is quite difficult for many women, especially if they already have children/family. Heaven forbid the child should be born with a birth defect or a special need.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe there wouldn't be teen pregnancies if people were not against schools teaching teens about abstience and birthcontrol. PErsonally learning about STD's from school during health was enough to make me not want to have unprotected sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think that if someone chooses life, whether they choose to parent the child or not, she should get help from the community. That may be public assistance or housing provided by a private charity (such as Phoenix House). I am both pro-life and in favor of public assistance if it is needed.

I am also an adoptive mom, and I know that there are many couples who will gladly welcome a child born with a birth defect or a special need.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't think the problem with the system is the rare birth control failure that ends up in an unwanted pregnancy. I think the problem is the people who are already on assistance or on the verge of needing assistance and do nothing to prevent pregnancy.

I would never suggest someone abort a baby because they couldn't "afford" it (or for any other reason), but it really isn't that difficult NOT to get pregnant if you don't want to. I have been having sex for 20 years and have been pregnant twice, both times I wanted to be.

Its a question of accountability for me. I don't have a problem paying for temporary assistance for someone who fell on hard times and needs a boost to get back up. I have a problem paying for people who are irresponsible and careless.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Dawn- I agree that some people need to try a little harder to avoid pregnancy. But sometimes people do try and they still get pregnant. With my second pregnancy I got pregnant after a condom broke and taking a Plan B pill. Part of the problem was the condom broke on Friday and Planned Parenthood wasn't open until Monday. If I had been able to get the Plan B on Saturday, I would have. But I had to wait and it was already too late.
    Also, in many communities the proper education is not being made. I live in Utah where abstinence only is the only sex education. I think we are 6th in the nation for unwanted teen pregnancy.
    Too avoid unwanted pregnancy, abortion, and government assistance our country needs to embrace education and access to things like condoms, Planned B, birth control, etc.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• As for adoption, this is quite difficult for many women, especially if they already have children/family.

So it is easier to murder the baby? So strange and selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Birth control is so effective... I mean the pill is something like 99.99% right? And God knows Planned Parenthood loves to hand out the pill - I just do not think there should be very many unplanned pregnancies... and if you can not take the pill, there are many many alternatives. There is NO reason for someone on welfare to keep having kids (almost always) with different "daddy's" unless they are doing it for the extra money. Really, as you are walking down to pick up the welfare check, and your block of cheese, stop by and pick up a box of condoms. I am tired of supporting you.
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 3:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Dawn4175 hit the nail right on the head! I am a 32 year old woman and have known countless numbers of women, starting in high school, who have had accidental pregnancies. In the overwhelming majority of these, safe sex was not being practiced. It's like the argument with abortion about rape exceptions--the number of these is so small that's it's hardly worth arguing about. Same here. Most of these unwanted/unplanned pregnancies are due to carelessness and part of that carelessness comes from the knowledge that hey, I can have an abortion, and if I don't, the government's going to pay for the birth, and the formula, and the healthcare, etc etc. Where's the incentive to NOT continue reproducing irresponsibly?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• This is a rather long winded "What if" scenario. I would think the % of this "scenario" would be few and far between. Can you provide statistics on how many of these "scenarios" have actually occured?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Dawn: I have been having sex for 20 years and have been pregnant twice, both times I wanted to be. Its a question of accountability for me. I don't have a problem paying for temporary assistance for someone who fell on hard times and needs a boost to get back up. I have a problem paying for people who are irresponsible and careless.

I concur.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• LOL me too ANON. We learned about STDs in depth in biology class. It scared the bejesus out of me. I was 18 my 1st time and have only had 3 sexual partners...INCLUDING DH!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009