What can I do to get my one year old to sleep?!?!

I have a 13 month old that has close to never slept through the night. When he was a newborn of course I got up with him everytime. Once he hit 6 months I started to let him " cry it out" While still checking on him every 15min without picking him up. He is still doing it though!!! Lately I have been going in and holding him just because he is just getting over a REALLY bad stomache virus. I just don't know what to do anymore. My other two children only had this problem at most up untill they were about 6 or 7 months. Help!! I am frusterated!!

momcatx3

Asked by momcatx3 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh sister when you figure that out let me know! My little girl does the same thing, and I SWEAR it does not work to let her cry. She likes to be "cuddled" to sleep. In my bed.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I am sure being "cuddled to sleep" would help, but I REFUSE To let my kids do that. I have the belief that My bed is for my husband and I. except of course for the occasional sat. morning breakfast in bed, and cartoons.
    momcatx3

Answer by momcatx3 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I gave up for a while and just let my son sleep with me... some times its too hard to keep getting up..
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 12:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I give my 9mo daughter Ava a bath every night before I put her down to be with Lavender bubble bath and give her a mini massage with Lavender lotion. It works every time!

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My son is the same age and I had the same exact problem. He always screamed when I put him in his crib. The way I looked at it is birth up to about three they can not fully understand why you are not there cuddling and loving them. I tried everything to get my son to sleep in his crib and all that would settle him was to sleep with mommy and daddy. If you are a heavy heavy sleeper then I dont suggest it, but is it all that bad to have you little love with you and you all get a good night's rest?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My son is almost 12 months old and thought he was going to start getting us up at night. The first time he did it I went in and picked him up and cuddled with him til he fell asleep and every time I put him back in the crib he woke up and started screaming. So, after 3 tries I laid him down and went back to bed, checking on him every 10 mins. He fell asleep after 20 mins. The next night I didn't pick him up, I went in laid him back down in the crib and said "goodnight". Waited 10 minutes, went in and laid him down and said "goodnight". Within the next couple minutes he fell asleep. The next night he woke up crabbing, after about 2 minutes he settled himself without my help. About an hour later, he woke himself again and calmed himself right back down and that was the end of that problem. When it's bedtime(about 10pm) I put him in his crib he talks himself to sleep and sleeps til 8am. Hope this helps, good luck!
    Stefamie

Answer by Stefamie at 8:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well i have almost the same problem. My daughter is 2 and she still needs to sleep with me or she freaks out...when my daughter was your childs age we tried putting her in the crib and letting her scream going in every 10-15 mins to lay her back down and say goodnight again but my daughter was very persistent.one night she did that until 5 am and after that i just figured im pretty much a single mom and if i have to work to support my family then i might as well have her and hubby in bed with me and a full nights rest. i had to work the day we didnt fall asleep until 5 mind you i had to be in work at 8 :30 which means i needed to be up by 6:30-7, nice right~! So my suggestion is speak with your doctor sometimes they have a better more efficent way of doing it and your baby is still only 1 you can still traim him to sleep in his own bed. In my case i dont think my daughter will ever get out of my bed lol.
    sweetkrissy

Answer by sweetkrissy at 9:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2009