PLEASE HELP! NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR A HONEYBEE COSTUME FOR SCHOOL PLAY....

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas for making a homemade HONEYBEE costume. It's for 1st grade and it's for my son. I have no idea what to get or what to do for it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I can't go out and buy a costume....don't have that much money, but I will go to Joann Fabrics or something or anyplace else that is cheap to get stuff for the costume....just don't have a clue as to what I need. :( And I don't want to be the parent that sent my son in with a yellow T-shirt on and black pants. My son loves theater kind of stuff and he wants to look nice! :) Thank you in advance! Oh and I have like 2 weeks to make it! Lol!

kimbercase26

Asked by kimbercase26 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• A bent wire coat hanger wrapped in sheer fabric would make great wings. You could even use an old curtain for the cloth. You can usually purchase antennae cheaply, but if you cant find any, use a headband, some wire (another coat hanger might work) and a couple Styrofoam or pom-pom type balls. For the body, you can use an old dress that doesn't have a defined waist or an over-sized t-shirt. Cut the sleeves off, sew or glue on black and yellow stripes of felt or cloth, put a string in the hem and pull to cinch it at the legs and stuff with grocery bags or poly-fill to puff it up. If you could find a black and yellow striped shirt at a thrift store to begin with, your work is cut in half. Put a long sleeve black shirt and black leggings or pants on for legs and use blush or lipstick on his cheeks to make them rosy.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Oversized sweatshirt (yellow) black tights or leggings. the hanger was a gud idea 4 wings. I would go with stockings tho and of course that gud ol headband for antennaes ;) gud luk
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 10:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Look through the books of patterns in the costume section. I would bet they have a bumblebee costume. I think that JoAnn had a set of bumblebee patterns for children up to adults. The pattern will tell you all that you need to make the costume.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• For the body I would get two pillows and buy (black and yellow fabric enough to cover these pillows) and just close the ends (sew them closed) leave open for the arms and to go over his head. Get black leggings (make sure the pillow will cover his manhood area)...lol I wouldn't want him looking too fairy looking...lol you know what I mean.

Oh as far as the fabric goes cut strips of these colors and sew them into the shape of a pilllow case (black yellow black yellow and so on)

For the antenas use a black head band buy two little circle styofoam dip in glue then in gold glitter and hot glue your antenas to the head band.  Use the wire hangers for them to stand on the head band. The wings I am not sure on that one.  GL Hope all turns out great!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009