• In the Spotlight:

I have a yellow lab and she is a nervous dog, when going to vet or any where except home she has a bowl movent that last forever, how can I do to help her from doing this, it is quite embarassing?

I had different vets say not to bring her back cause she is so nervous and another say have her go before going to see them. But it did not work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I'm surprised they would turn away business rather than just prescribe and anxiety med for her.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• That seems odd. We got a prescription for my dog's anxiety. She tends to shake and urinate. I mean my dog has been to the point where she was shaking so bad and scratching or biting herself raw, so she really needed some meds. She's a wonderful dog so why not help her. She gets a little anxious around other dogs though, she was bit by two about this time last year. She was coming out to do her "peeps and poops" and these two dogs came after her. Very sad for me.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I suggest rehabilitation for the dog. Our Goldens can be very nervous too. Our vet and our pet therapists expained that dogs can be nervous for a variety of reasons but in any case, they seek to be in control of their environment. When in an environment they do not trust, not only are they concerned about themselves, they are concerned about protecting YOU which can cause them to have all manner of strange and panicky behaviors. Your dog needs to be taught that you are in charge and control of the situation and there is no need for him/her to be worried. He/she needs to reckognise you as the pack leader and follow your guidance. We use Bark Busters and the sessions have been wonderful confidence builders for my dogs and has taught them to rely on us for guidance rather than spazzing out. My husband is the only one who now takes them to the vet because they do not feel the need to protect him like they do me. It works!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• (to add) we often will only associate our dogs wanting to protect us when the dog is aggressive towards other dogs or people. This is true but nervousness and behaviors due to extreme nervousness are also a sign of a dog's overwhelming self-assigned responsibility to try and watch out for and be responsible for himself and his master(s). ESPECIALLY in a situation (like a vet's office) that he/she associates with discomfort/pain or that other animals are claiming their territory.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Go find a REAL vet for your dog. My vet would never turn any animal away.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 5:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• you need to train the dog to not be nervous by getting the dog to become calm and submissive. you need to snap the dogs brain before it gets to that stage by stopping it just as you see it by pulling on it's leash or tapping it with your foot on his side. not kick it but a touch to stop the brain from turing to that state of mind. you need to watch the dog whisperer. it's really that easy.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My vet suggested to sit in the car not running for 15-20 minutes a day with my dog for a week.Then the second do the same while the car is running but not moving.Then the third week drive up and down the drive a few times .The fourth week slowly go onto the road in small trips like around the block or maybe 1/4- 1/2 mile.slowly increasing each week til she is comfortable with the car.This should releive some of the dogs anxiety about going places.After you get pass this stage take the dog to a close by friend or relatives for a short amount of time
    Try taking baby step to get her comfort levels of places built up.Good luck and ii wish you the best.
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2009