Cereal in a bottle?

For those of you who put cereal in bottles, what time did you usually do it? Just the last one before bedtime? Did it help them not spit up so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had reflux and even after medicine and hypoallergenic formula.. he still threw up. The doctor finally said to put cereal in his bottle, and that was the only thing that helped. I put it in every bottle because if I ever give just plain formula, he would throw it right back up. Have you asked your doctor about your baby spitting up?
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 12:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• my dr said not to put it in the bottle because it can cause choking... so usually in the mornings i give him about 3 tlbs in a bowl with a spoon. i started a week after he was 4 mo and it helped him not spit up and he slept throught the night (but he did since he was 2 months)
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I tried first in the morning to see how it would go and then did it at bedtime, making SURE they were well burped to avoid complications. make the hole small though, too big can cause gas which will make them cry. My kids never spat up much so I can't say.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• With my baby she has tohave it every feeding but it helped a hole lot. But she pukey also you mite wana talk to your baby biotics it did wonders for my daughter. its a probiotic u mix w the fourmula. we tried every thang thats all that worked for her.
    mom-2-be675

Answer by mom-2-be675 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It depends on baby's age as to what form to give it to themin. The hospital sent mine home the day after her birth with cereal in her bottle just because she wasn't getting full enough.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• He is three months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Cereal shouldn't be put in bottles... cereal isn't even used for nutrition, it's used as a learning tool for babies to learn how to take food off a spoon and swallow it. With all four of my kids, my pediatrician has told me that you shouldn't give babies cereal until they are mature enough to take it from a spoon while sitting up. There has been conflicting evidence as to whether or not adding cereal to a bottle even helps babies sleep through the night, but since there's so little nutritional value in cereal, you could be giving your baby the sense that he's fuller than he really is. If he's going through a growth spurt, he might wake more often in the night to eat, but that's just part of having an infant. (I'm not trying to be judgmental, just trying to help you out if it's your first time.) Hope that helps :oD

prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 3:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I put it in all my kids bottles and it was at about 4mo. becuz they were always hungry. Ppl say you shouldnt do it do to choking, but I made thiers milky. Always in the morning and especially at nite so that they would sleep longer. They never had problems with spitting up becuz I didnt over feed. I know alot of parents who did it and never had problems with thier kids. But all kids are different.
    mersieme

Answer by mersieme at 5:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If he's already three months, and you're going to start cereal, just give it to him in a bowl with a spoon and feed it.

Unless it's for reflux, there really isn't any reason to put it in a bottle.

However, most women I know have done it in the last bottle claiming it "made" them sleep more.
    They started waking earlier wanting a full bottle, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Anon 5:02... if it's reflux, then you should talk to your pediatrician about it.. my son had AF pretty bad, and they had me try putting 2 scoops of formula in 3 oz of water as opposed to 4 oz of water to make the formula heavier, therefore not as likely to rise. He still got the nutrients he needed, as opposed to the empty fullness of cereal.

prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 8:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2009