i feel like such a bad mom.....

ok so my little girl has a problem latching on to breast feed
she is only 4 days old
so i pump and formula feed sometime
well i wanted to see if she would latch on tonight
and so i tryed and she did not then she started to screm her head off cuz she was hungry
so i went to get some breast milk but it was all gone
and she was still freaking out
i ended up giveing her formula but it took me a while to make
i just feel like im a bad mom cuz i could not feed her sooner
i know its stupid but ya
any advice on how to not feel so bad????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its not your fault breastfeeding takes WORK!!! My advice is dont give up...it took my DD two weeks to learn how to latch on...and trust me the bond is so worth the struggle in the beginning..Good luck
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Dont feel bad hun. We all have to learn as we go. Not everything comes natural, and every single parent is going to mess up. NO one is perfect. Dont beat yourself up over it. She is fed now. Babies dont remember much so I promise she wont hate you for it. Good luck with your lil one.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Remember, she is learning all this right along with you. You have the ability to take a second to calm down, she doesn't. It won't hurt her to hand her off for a quick break and try again. Honestly though, and it's just my own opinion, I think that she is prolly going to have a problem latching on if you continue to bottle feed on a regular basis. I mean in your case sure it was best to do that, but deffinately try to keep up the nursing. She has to figure out how to do it, she will latch when she is hungry enough. But if she goes what you feel is too long, do the bottle. Biggest piece of advice, relax. It causes less stress for both of you.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You can buy a nipple shield or nipple gaurd...thats what the nurses at the OB gave me for my DD it is similar to a bottle nipple but it goes over your nipple so she can nurse but also get the food easier...
    I tried for 5 minutes without it each time I tried to feed me daughter and if it didnt work by 5 mins I would use the nipple shield
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• you can get them at babiesRus by searching for Medela Contact Nipple Shield
    if that is something you are willing to try
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Remember: Breastfeeding is just as new to her as it is to you. It's a learning process for you both. The more you give her a bottle, the harder it will be. TRY AND TRY AND TRY to latch her on. Find a position that works for her to latch easier. Contact a lactation consultant and see if there's anything they can recommend. In the meantime, just keep offering the breast. She'll get it eventually and you two will have a wonderful breastfeeding relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You're going to feel bad about something you do every day, if you choose to. Me, I choose not to.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and we can help you out. *smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had a lot of trouble breastfeeding my 1st too. However, pumping milk helped, and she seemed to prefer the bottle (I felt a bit rejected, but I tried to remember the positive: she was getting BREAST MILK, which is the healthiest thing for her) and with my 2nd (I'm 35 weeks now) I'm hoping to have better success because I did really feel deprived of the whole "bonding" thing without being able to nurse naturally. My daughter, now 14 months, is a true "daddy's girl" and follows him around and cries when he leaves. I admit to feeling jealous, as I'm the one doing the heavy lifting (carrying her around, changing diapers, dressing, bathing, feeding, etc.) yet it's HIM she prefers. Oh well...I try and be happy for them but I WISH I'd breast-fed longer! Maybe it would have made a difference...so keep trying! Or you might regret it later!
    NikiDeaf

Answer by NikiDeaf at 1:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• keep on trying!! As a mom of 3..........2 of my kids had mayor problems latching on. My middle child, it took her 3wks. before she finally latched on.......I was ready to give up!! I had great support though for my lactation consultant. And my son(youngest) had the hardest time...........he was born with thrush in his mouth. so he really couldn't suck it hurt my baby!!! We had to tube feed him with a surginge for a month. Keep trying, get support....breast feeding support, don't give up and youre not a bad mommy.
    mersieme

Answer by mersieme at 5:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• try the nipple sheild it was a lifesaver! because of it i could nurse my dd until 13 months. I wish i had it with my other two. I pumped for 10 months with my first and pumped for 2 months with my second and switched to formula. If only i had the nipple shield i could have nursed them easier and longer.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 5:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009