If your baby Had several life threatening conditions, would you have your baby go under surgry to have her foot correct and giving her something to enjoy as simple like walking.

my baby has cystic fibrosis and cerebral palsy. She shows signs of understanding some things and she cries when I can't walk her around places. She is 8 years old and knows what she wants, but she is confined because of her disabilities Teaching her to do things for herself is her motativation to live. because of both of her illnesses she dose not have a long life expectence. a surgrey on her foot can cause to put her on a breathing mechine. would you do anything to improve the quality of life or not take your chances?

C.F

Asked by C.F at 1:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• thats a tough one...I think I would do the surgery. If I thought it would make her life better, a breathing machine is something that will hold her back, a little, but not walking will limit alot of things she can do
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• This may sound totally horrible to some people, but here goes. What is the point of extending life, if she can't enjoy it? If this surgery is going to give her some joy, no matter how small it may be, you should do it. I am a firm believer that we should make the best of the time we have. Do what you think is best for you and your child.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My best friends sister has the same and she went threw the surgery to correct the ligaments in her ankle to stretch them out just so she could walk and she had a quick recovery. I hope the same and say go for it, god bless you!
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 1:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• GUESS WHAT ? She was born normal until she cought a cold and then suffered permenent brain damage. She is working with only a third of her brain And is making progress even thou she is not expected to live for long. If you only saw the similes she gives when she learns something new If I hold her and pretend to move her body for her she is the happiest thing ever
    C.F

Answer by C.F at 1:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Feel free to ask me anything? My user's name is C.F which stands for Cystic Fibrosis
    C.F

Answer by C.F at 1:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think that I would go ahead with the surgery. It is a chance to give her better quality. It truly is a hard choice. Give her the chance at quality of life. I will hope and pray for the best for you both.
    Putty921

Answer by Putty921 at 6:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• That's a very tough one. The selfish side of me says no, I wouldn't do the surgery b/c I want my child to live as long as possible, and not take any chances with that. But the part of me that loves my kids says yes, I would, b/c I want them to have as much joy and laughter in their life as possible. I think I'd go ahead and do it. I cannot imagine being in your shoes, and I have great respect for what you must deal with every day, not just taking care of her but the emotional and mental aspects of it as well. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i would do the surgury so she can have some type of normal life .she will thank you one day .this is very tought but think what you would want if you were in her shoes .stay strong and be by her side and keep postive thoughts in your head .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• God bless you and your family! My opinion would be to have the surgery. My reason behind it is that you said that she is happiest when you pretend to move her body for her. If she was able to do that for herself by just walking I think THAT would make her the happiest ever. It's a hard choice and only you can make it. I wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world! If you go through with the surgery please update us on how she is. My thoughts and prayers are with you both!
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2009