Should homeschooler's have a bed time?

MrsRKP7

Asked by MrsRKP7 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think a bedtime and bedtime routine are a good thing for children but the time and specifics of that routine can vary depending on your family's individual circumstances. And homeschooling certainly gives you more flexibility with the timing of your bedtime routine, since your children probably won't need to be up as early in the morning.
    If someone in the house works a different shift, or dinnertime tends to be late due to work schedules and you want to eat as a family - a later bedtime is going to work better for your family. As children get older, its been shown that their natural circadian rhythms are set so that they tend to be more energetic in the afternoon and evening and want to sleep later in the morning. Homeschooling allows you to work with your child's natural rhythm and adjust their bedtime/waking times accordingly.
    Anonymous

• I am not a homeschooling mom and never want to be....lol
    But yes, I think kids should have a bedtime even if they're homeschooled.
    They still need to get up early and start their schooling. I child needs rest for their little brains to work- whether they're learning in a classroom or at a kitchen table.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• See, I need rest too- It's suppose to read - A child needs rest .................

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• All kids need a decent bed time. I do homeschool and mine are in bed by 8:30 every night.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Forsure! Kids need routine and structure and plenty of sleep. Both my kids had bedtimes starting as soon as they slept through the night and my daughter now being in school has never had an issue around bedtime, my son will be three in april and is on a strict bedtime routine even though he only stays home with me, i think children find comfort and security in knowing whats happening next wether its bedtime, dinner time or play time.
    sajamomma

Answer by sajamomma at 2:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Absolutely! Homeschooling works best if part of a structured routine.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I'm a homeschooling mom and all kids need a bed time. Structure and daily routine is a must for all kids. We are......they are in bed by:my 13yr.old by 10 ,my 6 at 8 and my 4yr. old by 7/7 30, we are up early and ready for our homeschooling day by 9am. I hope this helps.
    mersieme

Answer by mersieme at 5:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't homeschool but I believe that all kids need a bedtime.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• All children need a set bedtime that should be pretty much held to, but not rigidly, They need to have a routine: brush your teeth, say your prayers, listen to a story, lights out and go to sleep. Something like that, whatever your routine is, every night. Exceptions to the rule should be really special (like Christmas Eve).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I homeschool too and my kids all have bedtimes. It helps with routine.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2009