inspired by another question.

So, for you mom who went natural for your births ...what pain relief techniques did you use?
I'm wondering bc someone else posted a question about how bad labor pain was. There were a few woman who made an epidural sound like it was a good thing. But i'm wondering what kind of pain relief technique they used for their natural births. No Bashing! just curious.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I studied the Hypnobabies program prior to childbirth. After 14 hours of labor I took (begged for) an epidural. I think that had circumstances been different, I could have kept going without the epidural, but there was absolutely no hope of me relaxing because the hospital staff were VERY un-accomodating.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I used the epi. It wasn't the best feeling when I got it, but afterwards I felt fabulous! Lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• For my natural birth- it was 100% natural. I was 18 and thought I could handle it. I learned my lesson real quick!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• But what pain coping technique did you use for your natural birth?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• First, natural birth has nothing to do with pain meds. Natural birth by deffinition means a vaginal birth. From experience, I had nothing with the first one and was fine. Thought i was going to die and or kill someone with the second. They gave me the statol and versed. Absolutely hated it. I would sleep at the begining and end of every contraction, and wake up screaming bloody murder in the middle of them. For the third, I chose to have an anti anxiety med. It didn't help with the pain, but I was in much more control and could focus on what I was doing. Good luck to ya!
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 2:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sorry, forgot some. As for coping with the pain on my own, Relaxing your face, focus on your breathing, and the hottest shower i could stand.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 2:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You and i have different deffinitions for what a natural birth is. ...to me a natural birth has everything to do with pain meds. If you had a vaginal birth then fine. you had a vaginal birth ...but there is nothing natural about having synthetic chemicals injected into your body.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I totally understand what you mean and how you feel. But I was just pointing out that from a medical stand point natural simply means vaginal. Didn't mean to upset you. Like I said I have done both ways, but there does come a point where the pain can hinder your progress in l&d. When it gets to that point and you have exausted all other methods, which is how i did it, then it's time to start thinking about meds.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 3:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well my DD's birth was natural & drug free... but it went so fast and hurt so bad I couldn't concentrate on anything except getting her OUT asap. I was totally unprepared mentally, so next time I just plan to get in the right mindset and try to set my fear aside... I know I can do it, so I just want to focus more. I also want to keep in mind that while yes it hurts me like hell, that it's not just about me and it isn't easy on the baby either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• baby #1 i used demerol, #2 no drugs, #3 morphine. i just kept my thoughts on all the good things that would come afterwards, like my baby, not being huge etc.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2009