Medically "Obese"???

I am 5'7" & weigh 192lbs. I go to the doctor today to find out that I am considered OBESE! Granted I know I am overweight, but obese?? & now I am suppose to only gain 10 lbs during my whole pregnancy, while on bedrest. Has anyone else been shocked about your weight when you went to the doctor?? & any suggestions on staying within those 10 lbs while on bedrest?? this is really causing un-needed stress...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• It won't be as hard as you think. My friend was on bedrest and her appetite was lower because she wasn't using as much energy. She actually lost weight on bedrest and she was overweight too. Keep water by you instead of sugary drinks. Try to eat healthy but don't feel guilty about giving into some cravings..thats part of the joy of pregnancy in my book.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am sorry, I am sure you can do it!!!
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 3:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• thank you both... =) i guess it is do-able if im sleeping as much as i am lol! & im not really eating badly since DH has been bringing me small little meals from my nutrition sheet between naps =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Ois a medical term, not a social one. Don't worry about it. About only gaining 10 pounds during your pregnancy--that is a CROCK! Your baby is going to weigh about 8 pounds alone! Now don't forget the placenta and amniotic fluid and remember that a healthy woman's blood volume is going to increase by about 40% throughout the pregnancy. You think that blood weighs nothing? You have a doctor who is number-obsessed, not health-conscious, and clearly does not know jack crap about how to have a healthy pregnancy.  I'd be looking for another one if I were you!  Check out this website on pregnancy nutrition. There are a few articles and information about healthy eating and weight gain during pregnancy for the overweight woman as well. This is what I'm following during my pregnancy:

yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 4:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Argh. My answer got jumbled up. First sentence: Obesity is a medical term, not a social one, so don't worry about it! And my website got cut out as well: http://blueribbonbaby.org/  This website has EXCELLENT information about healthy nutrition during pregnancy.  I highly recommend it.

yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 4:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Might I add that when I showed my doctor this eating plan, she said that it was great and that I could FORGO the test for gestational diabetes! woo hooo! No nasty sugar drink for me!!!
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 4:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am obese, and was given 15 lbs as my limit in my first pregnancy. I gained 70. My next 2 pregnancies they didn't bother with a limit and I gained 14 with DD1 and 13 with DD2.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Doctors are crazy i am 5'8" and with Landon i went from 175 to 220 this time around i started out at 190 and i am already at 218 my doctor doesnt seem to worry about the weight its normal to gain weight you pregnant use that as a good excuse to just be fat and happy! lol when i left the hospital with landon i was back down to 200 and all the pregnancy websites say in the end you should loose atleast 14 lbs because on average you have 7 to 8 lbs of baby and about the same weight in fluid
    mrs_sanders2101

Answer by mrs_sanders2101 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Personally I think the medical standards for Obese are exactly why the majority of Americans are considered obese. I'm 5'5 and 140lbs. I am considered 'obese' by medical standards. Why? Because my BMI is 33%. If I were to drop that down, say between the healthy range of 22-25% I would only weigh 110-115lbs- which looks disgusting on me!

Also, I lost weight on bedrest. You aren't using as much energy as you normally would. Don't starve yourself, but try to stop the 'boredom eating'... instead drink water. :) Good luck with your pregnancy!
    jsikapv

Answer by jsikapv at 2:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010