please help me out with this...how do i help my sisters kids understand why there mom went to DOC for 2 years? how can i help them stop crying?

there are 6 of them. i have them now. age range from 13-5... there mom is not a bad person. her X use to hit her alot. well one day she got sick of it and took a bat after him. (he made her lose a baby). he only got 1 year in DOC and she got 2 because she used a bat. he is 6'2 280lb and she is only 5' 120lb i understand the bat part. her kids dont undrestand why there mom had to go to DOC.in there eyes she did nothing wrong. how do i help them understand all of this? how do i help there pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• tell them mommy did something that she had to do because a bad man was hurting her so she had to protect her self or the bad man would have killed her and that because of her defending her self some ppl thinks she has to be in a place to help with her situaon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• sometimes doing what is right (protecting yourself/your children) ends up looking like a bad thing in the eyes of the law. The law says that she did something wrong even though it was to save herself/her children and now she must obey the law and take the punishment.
    Any 5-13 yr should get the drift of that..or just go with the law says she broke the rules, even though she was protecting herself.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 4:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Unfortunately you're not going to be able to make them stop crying. As to why she went, I'd just tell them that sometimes to do the right thing, you have to do something that others think is wrong. And that's what their mom did: she did the right thing by protecting herself and her kids, but the law says she was wrong. So, now she is doing what the law says she needs to do. I'd leave it at that for the younger kids, but with the older ones, I'd say you could maybe explain a few of the details to help them really grasp what happened.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2009