Baby sucking and NOTHING is coming out!

I am the same one who posted the question 'when did your milk come in'.

Here is my problem now... this is my second feeding and the second time that my poor baby keeps sucking and NOTHING comes out! I gave birth monday and I had to give her formula both times during the night after 30 minutes of her trying to suck and suck and suck - then I start to cry and she becomes hysterical.

I dont know what to do! please someone help me!

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 4:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You do what your instincts are telling you. The la leche league told me my baby was getting enough milk but I just knew she wasn't. I tried pumping and nothing came out. So I gave her formula and pumped and let her try whenever I could and after about 4-5 days it came in. She had no problems switching from breast to bottle. My dr told me they are too young to get confused. So don't feel bad. Just keep pumping and substituting with formula until your milk comes in. Also don't feel bad if you have to bottle feed... People are very good at making you feel guilty about that, especially the la leche league. Your mommy and you know what's best! Good luck!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My milk didn't come in for about 3-4 days each time. I gave both of my formula and breastmilk because I never produced enough. Some of the delay may have to do with the pain meds after a c-section ( that's what the lactation consultant told me), but that it will come in. Just keep having the baby try every couple of hours and it'll happen. Remember, when you get upset, so will she, so take a deep breath (if you can without pain) and let nature take it's course
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 5:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Why do you say there is nothing coming out?

If you give formula, it tells your body that you don't need to produce as much, and that will cause a problem. Contact your local La Leche League. They can and will help you. They can be more hands on then us Cafemommas. I do urge you to discontinue use of bottles and formula in order to establish and maintain a good supply. Don't let her get used to the fast flow of the bottle, or she could become discouraged at the breast that she has to work for food.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree with the above poster, the more you supplement with formula the less you will produce, breastfeeding works on a supply and demand, the more you nurse the more you will make so its SO important to put your baby at the breast as often as possible, feed on demand not on a schedule.
    Also, the BEST way to tell if your baby is getting enough to drink is look at how many wet diapers are produced...if she is making enough wet diapers, still making tears when she crys, drools and/or her mouth is moist inside, then she is probably getting enough to drink.
    Please dont be discouraged and give up, you CAN breastfeed its just that sometimes it takes a bit of work for mom and baby to get it down pat.....please contact a lactation consultant, the folks at Le Leche Leauge are especially helpful, take advantage of them!
    GOod luck, im sure everything will be fine!
    OH....to help you produce more, eat oatmeal, drink LOTS of water!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• MY milk didn't come in until my daughter was 4 days old. In that four days she had 2 oz of formula, the whole time. Now she is 24 days old and EBF and is doing really good. Don't be discouraged if you really think she isn't getting anything nurse her first then give her formula and then when she is hungry again nurse her first and then give formula. That way your body is still being told to produce milk and it should come in in the next few days. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I'm sure you mean well, Kaitlyn, but your advice is setting her up for disaster.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't think that the advice from Kaitlyn will help you OP. Dont get frustrated. Looking back, I wish that I would have NEVER given my twins a bottle right after they were born. I could not get them to latch on after they had a formula bottle. They would get too frustrated. Your baby wont starve. They are ok those first couple days with tiny amounts of colostrum. Just as long as she shows no signs of dehydration or low blood sugar. Your milk will come in. It took mine 4 days to come in. I was feeding my twins bottles and because they got used to the large amounts of formula quickly (1-2 oz) they lost their patience for the breast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009