Why do people assume that just because a child has a unqiue name they will get teased?

I knew a girl named Mary who got teased lot about her name.. and so did a kid named Jack... honeslty unless the name is WAAAAAAAAAAAY out there (like Tabooger) I dont think the name has anything to do with it.. kdis will get teased anyways

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughters names are unique and I think it has only helped them to become more popular...people don't forget their names.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I dont understand that philosophy either? My mom gave me hell for naming my daughter Emilyn she said nobody would know how to pronounce it and she kept insisting I just name her Emma middle name Lynn my mom is a weirdo!!!! I think alot of people are just old fashion and set in there ways! Thats the only answer I have for it?
    LoveMyEmiRose

Answer by LoveMyEmiRose at 7:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree LoveMyEmiRose....people are just old fashion still. I am getting hell also from my husbands family about naming our little girl Cali...I mean whats so wrong with that???
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think it depends on the name. As in how unique is it really? Is it just the spelling or something hard to pronounce? Is it a name you have to tell people how it is pronounced and spell it out in a different way so they know how to pronounce it? I don't know if they will get teased for it but that is not unique when you have to constantly tell people how the name is pronounced.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to names, but that's because I'm a teacher. It's extremely difficult when two girls, who have the same name but a little different spelling, pronounce their names differently. Or the kids with ' s in their name, which throws us off completely. When I was pregnant and we were deciding on names, I didn't want my son to have to pronounce his name to every teacher each year, plus substitutes when they come in. I wanted the names we chose to be a no brainer to pronounce. So that's how we came up with Ryan and Sarah :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree where there's a will there is a way. Kids will find something to tease others about. People would tease me and my name was Elizabeth but I went by Lizzie so it figures they called me Lizzie the lizard (magic school bus)
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• kids tease no matter what. I think deciding on names for teacher's to be able to pronounce is a bad way to look at things, and to come up with a name. Names need meaning, they need to be something that you love. We named my daughter Rebecka. It's an easy name, but that had nothing to do with why we chose it. With this baby, unless it's a boy, the name choices are a bit more unique.

My name is Shanna. Doesn't look to hard. It rhymes with Banana. Do you know how many times I was called Shannon? LOL. Teachers will mispronounce names all the time, even simple names. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Your name is how you identify yourself. So if kids use your name to tease you, it kind of stays with you wherever you go, whoever you meet. I didn't have that issue, but I'd imagine that whenever you introduce yourself, you still hear echoes of the teasing long after it stops. You can lose weight, get braces, wear contacts, change your hair, makeup, etc., but your name always stays with you. Yeah, kids will always find a way to tease, but it seems to me that it's especially harsh when it's your name.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I know a little girl named Tess Tickle first and last name,self explanitory,so I think you really need to think names through,although,kids will be kids,and find something to tease each other about.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think if the name is too unique, it is an easy target for ridicule - why make your child so 'different'? A child's personality will come out whether their name is Laura or Lawraughleighh.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 10:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009