Do you think it's better to havepets (cats, dogs) in the home from when (or before) your baby is born, or to wait till later to get them in terms of preventing allergies?

I mean if the pet dander is always in your home, does the baby adjust to it or if it's not present and added later, does the baby develop allergies? Or do you think it works the other way around? The baby's immune system has a chance to get stronger before it deals with pets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pets

• i think it better to have the pet before, the baby can hear the noises of the animal and then the animal noises dont bother the new baby, also the dander factor, if you have it to begin with you wont be allergic.... i am not a doc, ask your doc.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think it's better to have the pet before the child is born. My girlfriend didn't want her animals sleeping in the same room as her baby so she installed a cheap screen door to the baby's room. I thought it was silly but it made her feel better.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 5:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• mimitothree: what a bright idea your GF had! the baby and the pets will get used to each other's sounds, smells, etc and the baby won't be locked away from the family all the time, and still keeps the pets off the baby till he's old enough to make them move off him if they get on him while he's asleep. That's really brill!
    Anonymous

• They say being around pets as a child can possibly prevent allergies to them. But that doesn't always work, we had a dog and cat when my son was born and he is now allergic to cats! But I would still suggest having the pets Before you have a baby. The cat or dog was already there and established himself in the family.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009