Do you think it's better to have pets (cats, dogs) in the home from when (or before) your baby is born, or to wait till later to get them in terms of preventing allergies?

I mean if the pet dander is always in your home, does the baby adjust to it or if it's not present and added later, does the baby develop allergies? Or do you think it works the other way around? The baby's immune system has a chance to get stronger before it deals with pets? I asked this in "PETS" too, not sure of the category to put it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Studies show that children who are raised in homes with animals have FEWER allergies. We had two cats and a dog before out kids came along. Everybody adjusted just fine.
    BTW, cats DO NOT "steal breaths" our of babies. Talk about an old wives tale!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have always had my pets here in the home, and none of my children have allergies to them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't think it matters, really.

I never had pets as a baby/younger child. We had cats and dogs as a school age kid and into my teen years. I never had any allergies to them. As an adult, I am now allergic to SOME cats...not all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had my two cats prior to delivering. I think olivia was allergic a little bit at first, but they either get used to it, or you can give allergy meds.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I dont' think it matters.
    I would suggest having pets before your children are born, we had our dog for 3 yrs before DS was born, and I can't imagine having small children and a puppy. I think being an older dog, he was better with being poked/pinched/pulled by my children, a puppy would be nipping.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 9:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• IMO before they come. The litlle ones can adjust and build an immunity.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Its not allergies you have to worry about with cats.. cats WILL climb into your babies crib while they are sleeping. Cats are known for nestling up onto their face. I had a cat when my middle naughter was a baby.. we could NOT keep it out of the crib.. every chance it got it went into the crib. So we got rid of it. I would wait till your baby is in a toddler bed at least before getting a cat.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 11:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/983/whats-the-origin-of-the-myth-that-cats-can-suck-the-breath-out-of-babies look at this too.. search cats stealing breath. lots of people say its not true.. but some people say they've caught their cat doing it..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 11:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Like I said.. lots of people say it isn't true. But Others say they've caught their cat doing it! Not everybody knows everything...
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2009