He is just 12 yr old

My sister have a 12 yr old and a 9 yr old and the 12 yr old take care of his brother. It's not like it's for a hour or two. sometime a over night when she want to go out or just do not want them with her. she tell me I do not have to keep a eye on them cause they know what they need to do. But I still have to tell them what to do so when we move we do not have to fix nothing. But all she tell me is do not talk to my boys take care of ur kids. So my QUESTION is can they be at the house all the time like that? We live in VA

Mz.PhatPhat

Asked by Mz.PhatPhat at 7:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If the kids are in the house alone, that's not legal.... In DC a 12 year old can watch a sibling for up to two or three hours I think without it being a problem. not sure about VA procedures and laws...Nonetheless, she shouldn't leave them overnight if the oldest does not know how to take care of the baby without being told how to do things. Leaving to work to support them is an issue that I don't argue, but to just hang in the street...that is very selfish and triffling....when I was younger I made a terrible mistake by leaving my older kids with their younger siblings...This could have killed one of them. Kids should never be placed in a situation to care for their younger siblings, especially when they are very young themselves.

I will implore you to try and talk to your sister and have her to understand that if she gets caught doing that with her kids she will be dancing in the jail system and not at the clubs....
    jayesmom1

Answer by jayesmom1 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• She make him get the 9 yr old off the bus when she is sleep. and can not do after school things cause he have to come home with his brother and the bad thing is I tell her to let the 12 yr old be a kid and I will keep the 9 yr old but she tell me that he go it but when she not here I still tell them no and don't do that or this.
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 7:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Why does she have kids? Seems to me she wants to be just single without kids and be out and about. That 12 year old will have not shit to do with her in years to come if she keeps acting like this. Unless you call CPS yourself...there is not much you can do.....I mean she has told you to back off .....so its up to you to go take further action. Because honestly what 12 year old wants to be taking care of there 9 year old sibling??? I bet that 12 year old resents his mother so much right now, and you need to help them!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Find out what the laws in your state for the age children be home alone and how long and how old they have to be to babysit a sibling. I not sure but 12 yr old overnight is pushing it even if it legal in your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009