Any breastfeeding moms end up pumping only, still giving breastmilk only, but not nursing, just pumping?

breastfeeding, moms of infants

Asked by amt27 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I AM AN EXCLUSIVE PUMPER!!!! It does WORK! OMG! It's not harder and its not time-consuming. I have NOT had an breast infections and my supply has NOT disminished and I've been going strong for 4 months now. You just need the right support. And you'll need to invest in a good electric breast pump. I now am pumping 2x a day for 30 min (while I sit on CM lol) and get 30+ oz a day which is more than my baby girl eats. If you EVER need any advice on EP, PLEASE message me, I'll be more than happy to help :D

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• DON'T DO IT! It doesn't work. Your body reacts to the baby feeding one-on-one, and produces more and better milk this way. When it only has contact with a mechanical device, it gets confused and produces less milk. You will also be prone to breast infections, which are painful and discouraging. If you need any tips, join an active breastfeeding group. There are some really smart ladies out there that can support you in breastfeeding success!

Answer by rae_dawg at 12:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes, I did. My son was a preemie and couldn't nurse at the breast, as well as needed extra calories. There were many reasons why we ended up going to formula, pumping killing my supply was just one of them. Unless it is an absolute medical NEED, DON'T DO IT!

Answer by mom2ljh at 12:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Pumping is way harder and more time consuming. I wouldn't advise it if you don't ahve to do it,

Answer by lilmami81 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I pumped for the first three months. My baby just wouldn't latch on and take enough, and I went to two different lactation specialist. When I went back to work it was just too hard to keep up my supply, so I weaned over to formula.It can be done , but invest in a good pump, and don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't work the way you want.

Answer by courty30 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I pumped exclusively for my ds2. He was in and out of the hospital for his first year, and I wanted to make sure he was able to have breastmilk.

It is time consuming, and it's more complicated than breastfeeding directly, but it can be done. Of course, if you don't have to EP, then I wouldn't recommend it. Breastfeeding was so much easier for me than pumping.

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well ladies, thanks! I am doing it exclusivly, I pump 3x a day, it takes only 10-15 min. and I sit on cafemom while doing it. THANKS for the help!

Answer by amt27 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008