Pimple, blocked milk duct, what?! on areola...TMI

My son is 4 1/2 weeks old and is bottle fed (I don't make 2 weeks out I was getting 3 oz. a day so we made the decision to switch).

Last night I noticed a bump beneath my nipple that looked like a pimple. I squeezed (a no-no I'm sure) and white stuff came out -- looked like milk. I put a hot compress on it for about 5 minutes and it did soften up, but when I woke up this morning it was harder again and I could see there was more white stuff inside.

I go for my postpartum checkup Monday...I was just wondering if this is cause for alarm or if it's just something common with boobs & milk after pregnancy - even though I'm not nursing.

Any thoughts?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same thing The DR. said it was milk.

Answer by amber325 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I really dont know... But I think it's prob. just a pimple... I have lots now that I am 5 weeks PP. It's a H thing... Ask about it just to be sure though :)

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hmmmm you don't make milk, but you think milk came out? Pumping 3 oz is a great amount, your baby was likely getting plenty at the breast.

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have those, they are like little whitehead/pimple things, the white stuff is like oils from the skin and stuff. OP you totally don't have to defend your choice to not nurse your child.... ANON get a life.

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thanks amber & mikey...I appreciate your help! Yeah, I expected people to post about me not breastfeeding - typical. I just ignore it. I'll keep an eye on this weirdness but I'll wait to ask the doctor about it till my appt. on Monday. Thanks!

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009