Would you reduce your work week and take a pay cut if that would help the company not to layoff your co-workers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• YES, And I have at my job done that very thing. I have had to tighten up my belt a bit but I know things will get better and when they do I don't want to have to train a bunch of new people, I like my crew I work with now.
    Phyleva

Answer by Phyleva at 9:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Actually, we are already doing this, the entire company is at reduced pay, but we don't get the luxury of a reduced work week. Times are tough!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes, we are going through that, beside our supervisor and her boss, there are 8 of us in our transportation/trucking office. Our entire company (1500+) have been given a 10% wage decrease accross the board, with upper management taking a 15% decrease. Four of us in the office are paid hourly, and we have all had to reduce our hours to only 32 per week. The other four are salaried, so they still have to work the 40+, all 10 of us, must each take a one week lay-off per month on a rotating basis. (we do get unemployment pay during that week) Of the 125 truck drivers we have, we also rotate them, and ask that they take a 2-week layoff every two months.
    Times are tough... it sucks, but we still have jobs, and our seniority...vacation pay, & health insurance..... We do the happy dance each day we come to work and our keys still open the doors!....
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes i would if i could.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes. Next person laid off could be me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We are a small company and our wages were cut. The upper management took no cuts but the employees have taken a variation. WE have not been able to work less hours which I would like for the cut that I had to take. My pay cut was 55% so we have had to do more than tighten the belt in our home. We all have also been converted to commission only basis because they can then pay us min. wage if they would like. I started a home business in July and I am sure glad I did because I can make up the difference with the money I am earning and I also in the future can quit my job and give it to someone else who would like it.
    Anonymous

• It seems to be a necessary "evil" lately in the corporate world. Hopefully prices will drop as well. My husband has been asked to do this recently, so I have chosen to work from home and am really enjoying being able to help when the economy is so difficult.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 4:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009