How can I convince my daughter I am not going to Heaven just yet?

At the end of January we had to put our dog down because he was very sick and then at the beginning of February my Grandma died. My daughter (she is 2) loved both very much. We explained to her that they both went to live in Heaven and we will not get to see them for a very long time. Now, however; she cries every time her Daddy and I leave her for any reason because she thinks we are going to go to Heaven and she will not see us anymore. We both work full time so we must leave her every day. How do you explain to a two year old that you are not going to Heaven just yet?

Peajewel

Asked by Peajewel at 8:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would tell her that God decides when you go to Heaven. God doesn't think you and Ken are ready to go there yet. God wants you and Ken to be there for her as she grows up and take care of her.
    I think calling her a couple times during the day would be a great idea too.
    Also, mention to her, that just because a person is in heaven, doesn't mean she isn't going to see them ever again. Have you ever read the book, "Just in Case You Ever Wonder". It talks about that.
    There are many books about this subject too! Have you googled it yet?
    lostangel8

Answer by lostangel8 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would just keep telling her, honey were going to work and we will see you at 4 and then we will make dinner together, or play a game or tell her exactly what you will do so she can think about that. And encourage the babysitter/daycare that if she talks about it through the day to say mommys going to be home soon at 4 and then you are going to go to the store, go to the park, go do this go do that whatever that something might be to get her to look forward.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Aww. Poor baby. That's alot to deal with in a short time. Especially when she really doesn't grasp it all yet. I agree with the above post. Just keep re-assuring her. Maybe call her throughout the day, so she knows you're still there,and let her know you'll see her in a few hours. And, spend all the time you can with her when you're not working.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• also, if you have time while at work, try calling her at different times during the day to remind her that you are still there.

good luck
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My daughter went through a phase where she kept telling me that she didn't want me to die. I sat down with her and explained that mommy isn't going anywhere for a long time cause mommy wants to be around to see her grow up, get her driver's license, graduate and have a family of her own...so I was going to do my best to stick around til all that happened. She accepted that and it hasn't come up since. Best of luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009