How can the government blame the public for saving money?

How can the government explain blaming the people for wanting to save their money? I think it's great, maybe they're saving their money to buy with cash what they would normally put on a credit card; which is why most people are in trouble, credit card debt. We have a credit card, which is for emergency use only, came in handy last year when we lost everything due to a tornado, and my husband was out of work, but unemployment doesn't pay very much; so we ended up using the card to buy stuff for the house.
In my opinion, the bailouts are nothing but giant credit cards which our descendents will be left paying. What isn't there a savings plan for the government??

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 9:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The "government" itself doesn't have any money, only what the taxpayers put in. The current politicians who run the government have gotten used to getting all they can out of the taxpayers and spending it as fast as they can, and spending the money they think they will get in the future--and squeezing it out of the people if they don't. Now the river is starting to dry up and they are afraid they won't be able to fund their pet projects so they want us to spend more, so they can tax us more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It is okay to save, but if you don't go out and spend products don't get made which causes a trickle down effect to people losing jobs and businesses closing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I know the government doesn't have money all by itself. The gov needs to stop blaming people for starting to be smart about money. Save until you have enough to buy what you want, isn't that what our parents told us when we growing up?
    I think another factor is the deterioration of the family. So many divorces- the children then play off each parent manipulating each parent into spending more than the other one to " prove " they're the better/cooler parent. These kids then feel entitled to extravagant items and have no concept of economics.
    It's like a little child who goes to the ATM and watches you get money out, they think it's a magical machine that gives out money whenever you want. You have to be sure they see you putting money in, and explain that in order to take some out there has to be money constantly fed into machine.
    As a society, we feel entitled to get whatever we want, NOW!
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 9:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The government doesn't want to save they want you to spend it so they can have your money. I think this is a cop out... just giving any excuse they can to take some blame off them...sorry but last time i checked people were ALWAYS saving money???
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We do both. We have savings and we are spending. We did help our bad car industry yesterday by giving them some money for a new car.
    When you have the money to pay a car ,it's a very good time.They give us $7000 off of the original price.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• dang i need a new car.. i am going to keep saving..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The Current Administration likes to evoke fear to make their point. So, is in thier eye, we [the people] are a part of the problem, because we aren't spending? If that is the case, I have to say: Well, Mr. President of "Hope" and "Change", Why should I be hopeful of spending my money?? You and your admin are spending it at RECORD PACE!   I should save because you and your administration are about to raise the price of utlities, which will domino into goods and services.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• From the periodicals and newsetters I receive I can say that I agree why the government is angry with it's citizens for saving money. It just depends on how you want to define "save". Since Sept of 2008 11 Trillion dollars has disappeared. Does anyone realize the scope of that? 3Trillion can be accounted for by "paper" losses on the DOW, but 8 Trillion cannot. It's in hiding, in the savings accounts and cash investments of real live human beings. And the 8T is waiting for someone to leave office so it won't be taxed. So when Obama's government says it's angry with people for "saving" what they are really saying is:
    Damn all of you for putting your cash in a safe place where we can't get to it, and is making Zero's economy look bad. Now he is issuing statements like-I refuse to look at the DJIA daily.
    When we all know he is being advised on it daily.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The govt is what is making people save money. Obama is a nutcase. He thinks by scaring people he is going to make them spend it? The stock market is acting the way it is because people have lost so much from corrupt politicians and banks. The govt needs to make a real budget like the rest of us and live on what it has not what it can get from us.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009