How do you deal with a religous freak neighbor that told you child that you were going to die and go to hell because you smoke cigarettes? Now my 7 year old is scared and cries every time I go outside to have a smoke. I'd like to choke this woman.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The neighbor did not walk in love. Jesus never told a little child stuff like that. She really stepped over the line as a "believer" and does not represent Christ in any manner. I am sorry she did this to your daughter. I would let her know that she is not to speak to your child in that manner ever again.
    Explain to your daughter that what the neighbor said was not right.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would go over their and tell her that her actions were not right. It was not her place to tell your child that. She can have her beliefs, but it is not right for her ti impose them on your family. And I would explain to your child that everyone have different thoughts and that is what she believes, but not what your family does. That there is not truth to what she said. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would probably have to say something if she upset my child. Thats where the momma bear comes outta me!

I am a Christian and I can tell you she is wayyyyyy over the line and is probably NOT a true, born again Christian. Lots of people claim it, but to be one you have to bear fruit. Which means it changes the way you relate to people. And obviously she hasnt had that happened. She is probably a bitter old woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would go talk to her. I would politely explain that this is NOT her child and she has NO RIGHT to tell her things like that. Her opinions are not mine and I don't feel that scaring a child is propper behavior from an adult. I am a grown adult and if I want to smoke it's not her business.

If she continues to share her opinion I would have her keep away from my child!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Wow! That is just an awful thing for her to do. I agree that I would approach her on it. I would explain to her that it not right for her to tell her daughter things like that and although she may not agree with your smoking you would appreciate it if she would keep her thoughts to herself and maybe remind her to judge not lest thee be judged.

Matt 7:2-5 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged [if we judge with an evil heart or dark intent, His judgment of us will reflect it; if we judge nobly and honestly, His judgment of us will reflect that, too]
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am sorry I did not proof before I typed I meant to say "tell YOUR daughter" not hers.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would go to this lady,and explain to her,that it was not her place to tell your child this,and let her know the fear she has put in your daughter.Your neighbor was way out of line.I ama Christian,and smoking will not send you to hell,you can still go to heaven,maybe a little quicker lol.I hope you can get your daughter to understand that tis lady was wrong,and mommy will be fine,and explain smoking may not be good for your health,but it will not send you to hell.Kudos for you for smoking outside.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• WOW.

That's some crazy neighbor.

You need to sit your daughter down, explain about smoking (it is something adults do, you are trying to quit, blah blah) and make sure you let her know that YOU are the final word on things, NOT crazy neighbor lady.

THEN you need to walk next door, put on a big smile and say "If you EVER talk to my child again, it will not end well. You will NOT scare my child. You will NOT look at my child. End. Of. Story."
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would have to say going through children to get to parents is wrong. Smoking is becoming socially unexceptible so be prepared for more "pushing" the schools are on anti-smoking too so at some point you will have to explain to your child what you are doing is unhealthy and hope she doesn't follow your example. I would talk to the lady with your child present in a polite manner
    TomboyInATiara

Answer by TomboyInATiara at 9:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• first, I would explain to my child, that our neighbor doesn't know what they are talking about.. and explain that while cigerettes are bad, for you, your not going to croke tomorrow because of them.. also reassure her, that they are addictive, and you are working on stopping..
    then I would walk my butt over to my neighbors and tell them flat out, that they are not allowed to approach and/or speak to your child(s) any longer, or you will get the police involved... I'm so tired of hearing people react like this to children, it is sick.
    obviously quiting is not easy, I am working on that as well.. but I would try to quit, if for no other reason than to help put your childs mind at ease.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2009