What do you think about alcohol in your home?

My husband and I have differing views on this subject. While neither of us drink very often at all he doesn't feel having alcohol in our home is a big deal, where as I think we should never have it in our home or around our children, whether we're drinking it or not.

When we go out once in a blue moon without the kids and I know I'm not going to be coming home to kids I don't mind having a drink or two. My husband likes to have a beer every once in awhile at holiday events in our home though or during a sporting event on television or something, so he will sometimes buy a 6-Pack and bring it home with him for him and his buddies or him and some of our family members to drink.

Even though our children are too young at this point to know what it is or even care I don't want them remembering those visuals later in life and thinking it is okay for them as well since it was okay in our home. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• What matters more than anything is you and your husband's attitude towards alcohol. No doubt, kids learn by example; if you show them how to be responsible with it, and that it's no big deal IN MODERATION, they should grow up with a healthy view of alcohol. My parents never drank while I was in the home; that didn't stop me from underage drinking as soon as I moved out when I was 18. The problem was, I knew nothing about safe alcohol consumption and got myself in trouble almost immediately.
    That being said, if you ever think the example you or your husband is setting for your children is unhealthy, put a stop to it!
    No doubt you children are very lucky because many parents don't consider the long term effects of alchol in the home.
    my_11_stars

Answer by my_11_stars at 11:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hmm, that's a tough one, curious how far you would take it....no alchohol. What about junk food? Salt? Cigarrettes? Cigars? R-rated movies? Do you lay in the sun? I don't know...alchohol is legal and if you are not abusing it, I'm not sure the problem.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it. We've kept beer in our fridge and we keep liquor and wine in the pantry. My son is 5 and fully understands that it's "grown up" stuff. Period. While I don't drink now because I'm pregnant...we used to maybe have a glass of wine with dinner or after he's in bed or whatever. i don't believe in getting drunk at home with the kids there but there's nothing wrong with keeping alcohol in the house.

Now when he becomes a teenager.....?? My answer might be different.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I feel the same as you. We are Christians and I truely dont have any problem with a person having one once in a while. But thats the problem, a lot of people get carried away with it and start to do it more and more and more, until it becomes a problem.

We choose not to have it in our house at all. I just dont want to be seen by my children as a drinking parent.

Thankfully my dh and I agree. Our house, our choice.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• we keep beer in our fridge and liquor occasionally but not often i have two teens and completely trust them. i dont see a problem if you are responsible. i would rather have a few drinks at home than be out drinking and driving
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Um we have a ton of alcohol at our house, and neither of us drink much lol. Just 17 years of accumliation. I have NO problem having a drink infront of my kids, why should I?? I am over 21. I do have a 15 year old son, and NO we dont' have a locked liquor cabniet, and we told him that if we ever felt the need to get one, that there would be hell to pay from him. Children do NOT do what Adults do, period. Alcohol is legal for those over 21, I fit that criteria, MANY times over lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No R-Rated movies, no, and not even anything rated about G for my children to watch at this point. My husband enjoys watching "Cops" and shows like "World's Dumbest Criminals" and no, when the children are around we do not put them on the TV. Ciggarettes, no. Neither of us smoke and I don't think it's acceptable either. My mother and step-father do and they're the only ones in our family. I do not let them bring them into our home and I explain to my children, as do they, that they are disgusting things and they are not good for Grandma or Papaw. I do wish they would quit, but I can't force them to obviously. Cigars, same thing, but no one we know smokes them. Salt and junk food are fine in small quantities, but I suppose we eat fairly healthy too, so nothing excessive. And laying in the sun, yes, we are beach-goers living in Florida definitely, but we always wear our sunscreen, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I feel with you! My Husband does this, and I Do Not! I have in the past but have choose to set a better example for my child. I do not want her growing up thinking its ok to drink as it is not! it maybe legal but still intoxis your body I do tell her it is bad for your health and changes your ability but by no means should she ever take a drink.
    Anonymous

• I don't like having it in the house for the same reasons you do- but we do. My son is only 11 months so in a few years it will change. I don't think there is anything with having wine in the house maybe for with dinner but I don't want my son seeing daddy come home every night and drink a few and not be able to function without it. I grew up without it in my house growing up and just the feel of the house was different then when I went to friends house who had parents drinking it all night.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I got a bottle of rum in the freezer and some Malibu in the fridge. Teach responsibility and that it is not to be consumed until they are 21.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009