Should she be sitting up by now?

My daughter will be 8 months on the 11th of this month. She hates sitting up and will scream if I place her in the Bumbo seat. When I place her on the floor to sit her up she falls over right away. If I lean her forward a bit and place her hands on the floor she can balance herself for a couple seconds before falling. Shouldnt she be sitting up by herself by now? She always arches her back to lay back instead of having to sit. My oldest daugher was crawling by 7 months so this is new to me. Do you think I should be concerned or can this still be considered normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think she should be attempting sitting up by now. I was mention it to your ped and see what they say. You may just need to work with her on it a little more.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My now 14 month old wouldn't sit either. At 13 months she deicded she would. This is after she was standing. Some kids don't like it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have notice that my boys are way different then the girl my lil girl she been crawling since she was 5 1/2 months and now she is 8 months old and gets around really good and now she is standing on the side of things but i notice she skipped sitting and she didn't like it much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would suggest stop using the Bumbo. I would use the Boppy or that type of pillow or even sit on the floor and let her wobble back and forth between your legs.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• well they do all develope on their own "schedule" but i do think that she should be sitting by herself by now. If she can and chooses not to that is different, but I DONT THINK (I, myself) dont think she should be falling only after a few seconds of sitting. I would ask her pedi. My daughter was sitting by herself at 3 1/2 months which i think is early. But I am a SAHM and i really "work" with her on things...not saying that other moms dont if their kids dont do things early! but i would think she should be.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If you are having doubts contact your local Help Me Grow. They come to your house and evaluate your child. If they find delays they will get you some early intervention for your child. I know this because my son who is now 8 was diagnosed with autism and if it wasnt for Help Me Grow he wouldnt be doing as outstanding as he is now.
    momof5inohio

Answer by momof5inohio at 12:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2009