What do you consider a breastfed baby?

I ask out of curiosity. Is a baby who is breastfed 6 months and then either weaned or switched to formula a breastfed baby or a formula fed baby when you look back? Is a baby who is breastfed only 3 months considered a breastfed baby?

I only breastfed my first child for a few weeks, so I consider her a FF baby. At what point can you look back and say "I breastfed my baby," even if at some point you did use formula or go straight to some other milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you BF them you can say you did. I dont think anyone has the right to tell you that you didnt just because you stopped before a "mark". I Bf my daughter for the first 3 weeks of her life but also had to use formula after the first week because my full supply wouldnt come in (I had breast reduction at age 15). so i look at it as i BF my daughter and FF her.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• commonly a breast fed baby is designated so if it has been breastfed for more than 50% of it's first year of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I consider my youngest son a breastfed baby. BUT I make sure to add that after 4 months he was switched to formula (milk dried up).
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I tend to think that way myself, but I have heard some people saying that a baby is not truly BF'ed unless they have been exclusively for a year. IMO that's not fair to the people who have babies that self wean at say, 10 or 11 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• good question i must say!

if i breast fed my baby for a few weeks then switched i would think that its just too little of time to be a breastfed baby so if someone asked me "was he breastfed?" i would say "yeah just for a couple of weeks then i had to switch" so its not REALLY considered a breastfed baby but still worth mentioning.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• People can sa whatever they want. Don't let it bother you! Breast milk is so good for your baby & you gave him/her the best start possible :]
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would consider your situation as both.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If your baby was breastfed to the point they no longer needed formula and/or breastmilk then they were an exclusively breastfed baby.

If your baby was breastfed for 6 months and then formula fed til 1 year then your baby was a breastfed and formula fed baby.

So on and so forth.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• A baby was breastfed if they were breastfed. A baby was exclusively breastfed if they received nothing else (formula). So if you were asked, I'd say, yes, but not exclusively.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the answers everyone. This was just one of those questions that popped up in my pregnant brain at a 3 am trip to the bathroom. Just wondering what everyone felt. I certainly plan on trying harder to BF this baby and I'm setting small goals this time so I can feel proud of my accomplishments and not devastated if I fail again.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2009