I need some simple ideas for hors dourves for a party I'm having this weekend. Will you share you're "go to" recipe?

So far I am planning on serving:

Veggie platter
Cheese platter
Salsa Verde
Black Bean dip
Guacamole
Possibly a shrimp cocktail

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 10:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always make a cracker dip. It's so simple, just cream cheese and fresh minced garlic. That's it. For some reason it tastes like it has a lot more in it, but it's awesome! I just get Ritz or Wheat thins.
    I'm not Catholic, so does no meat include seafood? ( I know some vegetarians who won't eat beef pork etc, but will eat seafood) Anyway.......if you can do shrimp...buy baby shrimp, put it over cream cheese, and top with cocktail sauce. Serve with Crackers. So yummy! I also do a crab dip..but again..seafood. What about jalepeno poppers,Cheese sticks? You can just buy those!. My mom makes tortilla roll ups. She usually puts meat in them, but you could omit it. I think she just spreads cream cheese, adds green chilies, olives, cheese etc. and rolls them up. Might be a silly suggestion, but could you go get some vegetarian "meat products" and use them?? Some of those no meat things actually taste good
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yes i will "go to the store" and buy a meat tray lol what kind of party is it exactly? just so i can get an idea
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I always do mini meatballs, on toothpicks. Easy to throw in the crock pot in the AM and serve later.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sharp cheese and pepperoncinis, chopped and rolled up in a slice of salami...secure w/toothpick!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 10:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Stuff dates with blue cheese, wrap each one in half a slice of bacon, secure with a toothpick, bake @ 375 for 45 minutes.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it really is quick and easy.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i was going to say barbecued kielbosi that is always a favorite when we have people over or polish mistakes.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• mmm stuffed mushrooms. deviled eggs
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It's going to be dinner for our families earlier and then his friends will come over in the later part of the night. Our son will go to Grandmas and they'll have some drinks and hang out.

Oh I forgot to mention that we're Catholic and it's Lent right now so no meat on Fridays!! It makes things a lot harder...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• But the cheese and pepperocinis and the stuffed dates sound soooo good!!! I'll have to write those down for a party that is not on a Friday in Lent!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• all of these sound good. little quiche's would be good too, I think you need somthing a little heartier than what you have listed.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009