What do I do???How do tell her no more?

I baby sit my sisters little girl, and she has lice. I dont want to be mean to my sister, but she wont do anything about her situation. I have even treated her hair myself so my kids dont catch it, but I have even told her she has got to do something about her problem. What do I do??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would offer to help my sister clean the house to get rid of the lice first, but is she refused the help I would tell her I could not babysit until it was dealt with. Also if she flat out refuses to acknowledge a problem then I would call CPS anonymously.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Tell her she either takes the proper measures to ensure her daughter's hygiene or you have no choice but to get involved by talking to the proper authorities. It will piss your sister off but apparently she is being lazy and neglecting her daughter's situation. That is just sick.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Oh man, sounds like your sis needs some serious help if she wont get rid of her dd's lice. Maybe you need to get some professional help involved. Not sure who.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Don't babysit. Period. It would be the same as if your niece were vomiting and had a fever - you wouldn''t want your children to catch any virus. When you continue to bail her out time and time again she will continue to ignore and do what she wants. No matter how much you love this little girl it really is in her best interest to have her mother take care of the situation. You don't even have to say anything directly. You can always call social services anonymously. They won't take your niece away but they will scare the crap out of your sister enough to put a plan in place to get rid of the lice. Unfortunately she may also have to treat her home as well as her daughter's hair if this is a persistant problem. Social services will monitor the situation if there is enough information to support the neglect, such as the school also saying there is a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree with the third reply. I had to call CPS on some kids (friends of my dd's) who's parents refused to take care of it. The poor girls were just crawling with lice, they were falling out of their hair all over my house. We had to pull out the credit card to get everything we needed for our family, so I went ahead and bought some supplies for them as well since I knew they were having money problems. I didn't want the kids to think I blamed them.

Well the very next day the girls were at someone elses house without being treated, and then I found out that the mom knew about it when she sent them to our house too. Lice happens, and it doesn't make someone a bad parent, but you MUST take care of it. CPS went to their house and made the mom take care of it. Not only do the kids need to be treated, the whole house does or it will just come back over and over.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2009