Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have an eating disorder, where can I get help that I can afford?

It all started with trying to loose the 35 pounds I gained during pregnancy, my son is 6 months, I need some help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

Answers (6)
  • Your doctor would be the best place to start. They can refer you to a therapist or dietitian, depending on your needs. Good luck, it's a tough road but you can do it. The sooner you get help the easier it will be to get healthy again.

    Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • thank you Sam, I aprreciate it..

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • If you get a doctor referral to someone then more than likely your insurance will help pay. GL!

    Answer by kboney29 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • No problem. I struggled with anorexia when I was about 18/19, and it was hard to get healthy again. Very hard. A dietitian can help the most once you overcome the urges. They can help you learn how to eat healthy so that you can maintain a healthy weight without hurting yourself. But first you need to overcome the base issues, usually self esteem or control. Good luck again, I'll be rooting for you!

    Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • having been a graduate psychology student not long ago, I can say that universities have psychological services or centers that offer therapy services way less than you would pay for a licensed psychologist in the field. You would possibly be seen by a graduate Ph.D psychology student who is supervised by a professor. This is an option if you are looking for something more affordable. I would say to check the universities in your city and contact the Psy departments. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • I use to be anorexic as a teen, which is different than when your an adult, but try a doctor. There are also local places that you can go to that are specifically for moms with eating disorders (try looking them up on google, or in a phone book). Best of luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.