What should I do when my weaned preschooler wants to breastfeed?

Pinkystar

Asked by Pinkystar at 10:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just let her nurse! If she hasnt' nursed in a while she probably won't be able to get any milk and will just forget about it. But theres no harm in letting her try it.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think it's kind of weird to let a child that big nurse. Does she still take a bottle? Preschoolers shouldn't still be on the bottle or the booby. She's probably just wanting the closeness of it. Try snuggling with her.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• GMR, how dare you say preschoolers shouldn't be on the boob. Breastmilk ahs benifits WAY beyond the first year. UNICEF and the WHO both reccomend breastfeeding a MINUMUM of two years. The world average of weaning age is 5.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Whoa there ladies!

If your BF child has already weaned, just tell her that the milk is gone, but you would love to cuddle, read, or do an activity of her choice.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I love how people quote WHO when it is convenient for them. Whatever.

If your preschooler (so figuring age 3 or 4 years here) wants to nurse again, that's your choice. Personally, I would calmly explain there is no more milk and that she's a big girl (oops..or boy) and can have a cup of milk if s/he wishes...or something like that.

Now...if it's because of maybe a jealousy factor? New baby who is nursing? If you don't want the preschooler to nurse again, I would simply tell him/her that the milk is for the baby, but that s/he can have some special snuggle time when you're done feeding the baby.......
    Anonymous

• I had the same issue with my 3 yr old when my daughter was born. I consistently kept telling that mommy can nurse only one baby at a time. Now that he's a big boy he gets to drink mommy's juice from bottle. So, i pumped my milk in front of him and gave it in bottle. I did this at least once a day. He was happy, I was happy that i nursed both my kids the same. I nursed my baby and pumped for my son. Felt wonderful. Why don't you give it a try.

nidiya

Answer by nidiya at 7:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2009