She speaks in full sentences but refers to herself in the second person!

"You want some more, please." "You want to go potty with your mommy." This is my 21 month-old, and she's talking about herself. I'm not really worried, just amused. She has some very sophisticated sentences, but still doesn't get the pronoun thing. She even points to my cup, and says "that's mine," meaning, "that's yours." Anyone else's toddler have this problem? I haven't met anyone else who does this!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 10:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Grammar takes time. And correct pronoun use is Grammar.
    Many toddlers refer to themselves by name for a long time. One game you can play to help her learn is sit in front of a mirror with her. Ask her to "Which one is me? Which one is you?" This helps her learn that they change depending on who is talking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It probably has a lot to do with you referring to her as "you" and yourself as "me". It will take some time for her to understand that "you" and "me" is different to different people.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• She's not even two yet she probably doesn't realize that she's saying things wrong. She'll get better as time goes on most likely.
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 10:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009