My brother(21 years old) just been told(by a doctor) that he has type 1 diabeties...is it possible that I might have it too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• Type 1 diabetes can be genetic but it's a hit & miss sort of thing. Do you have any symptoms? Excessive thirst, excessive fatigue, frequent urination, etc.

I'm sure your brother will have a glucometer to measure his blood sugars as part of managing diabetes. Maybe he'd let you test your blood sugar. Be sure to test when you haven't had anything to eat for at least 4 hours, and your sugar should be 105 or less.

My mother is a Type 1 diabetic and has been for over 50 years. I am a Type 2 diabetic. I believe that family members of diabetics CAN be more susceptible to developing it, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. Eat healthy, avoid refined, convenience or fast foods, keep a healthy weight and exercise and you will be ahead of the game.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009