What age should you tell your daughter about the menstration cycle?

She is 6 yrs. old I can not believe time flew so fast :(

I also have an 8 yrs. old son and they play alot and I am afraid if I mention this to her she might say something like guess what mommy told me and she might tell him.

I can say it is our girl's secret but I don't know. (?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids are starting so early these days lol. I personally would tell her about the age of 8 or 9. I had a friend who started at 9 and a step sister thaqt started at 9 although her mom (my step mom) didn't start until 17
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think six is too young. I would wait until at least 8, but maybe closer to 10. I wouldn't give more info than she can handle or need.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Also your son is going to find out soon or later what that is so I would say it was ok to let your DD tell him lthough then you might have to explain it to him and that might be uncomfertable lol. You could say it is our secret but then she might be afraid to talk about it later to anyone else if she had to but that is just my opintion
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My daughter is 6 also. I talk with my daughter alot about developement and whats to come. Mabey you should talk to your son too. YOu dont have to go into details. Trust me momma, you want to have an open relationship with your kids. Sons are often left swinging in the wind. They have to figure things out on there own. I'd rather my son knew the truth by me then talking among his friends.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I will talk w/ my g-daughter about age 8. My grown sons..I began talking to them about where babies come from when they began asking questions 4-6. As the grew up we talked not only of what was happening to their bodies but what happens to a girl. I think boys are done a great disservice when not told.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would wait until I saw signs that her body was beginning to change. She will start to get some pubic hair and her breasts will begin to change. Until that time, I would only answer her questions should she ask anything. I truly believe that children should be allowed to remain innocent for as long as is possible. There's a whole lifetime of having to deal with the stresses of life. It has gotten harder and harder to guard their innocence, but I would do it for as long as I possibly could.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i wouldnt tell her until you think she may be getting ready to get it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i told mine when she started breast budding. periods usually start 2 years later. and i always gave quick answers to those questions about me/my cycle. i am even honest about pms. when i have those days, i tell them , you did nothing wrong, mommy has pms and needs chocolate.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well my six year old dd goes to Walmart with me, I had to pick up some tampons and pads. She asked why we needed them. I told her why I needed them and that one day she will need them as well. She looked at me and said no I will not. I told her that yes she will. Then she asked when I told her I don't know. Everybody's body change at a different times. I also mentioned that boys don't need to use them. She knows boys and girls have different body parts. But just because we are different does not mean one or the other is better. I do not believe that discussing it will take away a child's innocence. She did ask me the other day why i haven't bought any of them lately. She writes the list of things we need. I told her because when you get pregnant you do not need them. She said ok and she knows pregnancy means that you will being a having a baby as long as the baby does not get sick,Maybe she knows too much for six year old.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well, I started my period around age 11, before my mom got around to the talk. So I'm think probably age 10, or 11 at the latest.
    Anonymous