What do you think of Pres Obama ordering Gov't overhaul of contracting bids?

Wouldn't this allow small business to to be able to get in when they couldn't otherwise .. Because it has always been fixed for certain companies to get the contracts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If we're able to save money without compromise of those products being produced then I'll be happy.

My father works for a company that handles a lot of Government contracts so I'm a little partial on this subject.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I heard him say he'd do this but I don't believe he will do it to the point it needs to be done. It would cost millions to check out every governor, mayor and congressman/woman for involvement in government contracts. I'm sure if congress has anything to say they won't let it be done either since many of them would be targets
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I approve of the measure. No-bid contracts got us into a huge mess. We wound up paying more than we should have for some things. Free market economy. You want the job, you have to bid on it, just like everyone else.

But don't get me started on the lowest bid bit. LOL I mean come on, some things should NOT be made by the lowest bidder. My husband is military and they have a going joke: You know that gun you are carrying was made by the lowest bidder, right? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe it will give some smaller companies a chance to get their foot in the door.

LOL, anon, reminds me of Rockhound from Armageddon as they were taking off, "how does it feel to be sitting on top of several thousand tons of high explosive, in a machine with 200,000 moving parts, each built by the LOWEST BIDDER."

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• ROFL Friday! I had forgotten about that part of the movie!
    Anonymous

• LOL, anon, reminds me of Rockhound from Armageddon as they were taking off, "how does it feel to be sitting on top of several thousand tons of high explosive, in a machine with 200,000 moving parts, each built by the LOWEST BIDDER."

laughing

I think it depends on how they set up the new system.  What if the lowest bid comes from another country?  Remember the scandal when the Air Force gave a contract to an overseas company for aircraft.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009