Why do they have to put commercials on like this!!!!???? AHHHHHHH

We were watching Funny vidoes, and an erectile dysfuntion commercial came on. Of course my 5 year old says "what does that mean?"

A few nights ago we were watchin a safe FAMILY show, Andy Griffith. Then a commercial came on where they were talking about who GOT with who. I was super pissed. The show is safe but the commercials are NOT.

Or when you are watching tv with the inlaws and a tampon commercial comes on and no one is talking so you are all just sitting there watching about tamponds.

ANyone else hate this? I try to keep a check on what they watch and nothing is safe, not even the family channel IMO.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Entertainment

• yeah, i don'y like those commercials myself.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yeah i hate those commercials too! ED commercials shouldnt be allowed on family programming. at least girls gone wild video commercials arent on!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't mind tampon commercials, but I do hate the ED ones. Especially when you're watching a channel or a show that you think is fine for the kids to watch, and then it just comes out of nowhere.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think having ED commercials before 9pm is inappropriate. I think ED commercials are up there with those KY lube ads. How about all the moisturizing body lotion ads where couples are rubbing their bodies all over each other...lots of skin on skin contact. Really really REALLY annoying. Why don't they start having sex toy commercials while they are at it. If old men who can't get things going get to have ED commercials, then women who want to have more fun in the bedroom...how about an image of a bunch of giggling grannies holding a "personal massager"...are bound to get some commercials soon as well someday. Can't wait.
    FudgeBrownie

Answer by FudgeBrownie at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I hate the ED commercials! Last night about 6 my son was watching tv and some commercial for something called "Love Rub" came on. I turned the tv off then!
    Anonymous

• I personally don't mind...the commercials mentioned (ED and tampons) are a part of a normal bodily function. We should be using these commercials to answer our kids questions (according to your own personal values). Even when commercials for KY or condoms come on, its still a chance to open a dialogue with your kids about safe sex or about your family's personal beliefs about sex.

Now with the Girls Gone Wild tapes and stuff of that nature, then yeah, keep those on after 9pm. But as for lotion ads and such...give me a break!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Why don't they start having sex toy commercials while they are at it

The do. It's the two women sitting on a couch talking about it, and a much older woman sitting at a desk behind them and leans over to tell them where to order them online. It's very creepy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• ozarkgirl, my problem with them is not that they are about ED, but the way they handle it. The one I see most often shows the guy talking about how it made him bigger. It's pretty much nothing but "It made me bigger/longer/thicker". My 8 & 5 yr olds don't understand it and I don't see why I should have to give them this big sex talk to explain what that means. And yes, I'm well aware I can just tell them not to worry about it, or any number of other things, but I just don't feel it's appropriate for the makers of these commercials to put us in that position.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have more of a problem with the horror movie ads. I'll be watching the news, or a family sitcom and then there is an ad for some super gory scary movie (I love them actually) or a "haunted house" around Halloween, and my kids have nightmares. Just because you let your kids watch Everybody Loves Raymond, or even Friends, does not mean your fine with letting them see decomposing corpses, severed limbs and people screaming in mortal terror.
    Phyreglow

Answer by Phyreglow at 4:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• commercials for lotion ok but when a commercial comes on with a girl moaning the words love rub, I have a problem with it. Good for you if you use these commercials to talk to your kids about sex. I on the othe hand prefer to do it when I feel he's ready.
    Anonymous