When traveling with kids how do you deal with hotel situations?

We've only went to a hotel once with our son. It was for one night. It sucked because he had to get to bed early, then we had to keep the TV low and turn out the lights for awhile until he fell asleep.

We will be doing Disney in the summer, for about a week.

How do you typically handle the sleep situations so that you and DH don't have to go to bed at 8:00 or be bored to death if you do stay up but don't want to wake the kids?

Since it's a different time zone I have considered the possibility of letting him stay up till 11, 8 our time, but then he'll get up late, so I'm not thrilled with that idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Travel

• Alot of hotel kids stay free (especially in the disney area) and you can get ajoining rooms for free or cheap. If this is the case, just leave the doors between the room unlocked and cracked so you can still peep in. Even if they aren't free, alot of times you can talk with managment and get them deeply discounted if they aren't fully bookedup. It never hruts to ask!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• we would get a room with a balcony or in some cases a motel with chairs just outside the door. or spring for a suite. some hotels have them them for not that much more than a regular room. look for Embassy suites or Quality inn and suites. We havefound deals at Holiday Inn express's too!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• modify everyone's schedule, keep him up a lil late, you will be tired from all the walking so go to bed early or get into the mini bar and put yourselves to sleep with some wine and a hot bath! balconies are great too.. when we went to FL last summer my son was 2 and we did that. also one nite my dh went to the bar, the other nite i went out, that was weird and i wouldnt recommmend it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Uh, I don't get tired from walking (I've done Disney World several times, and walked miles around New Orleans in a single day with no problem.) Also, I don't drink alcohol. So yeah, that won't work.
    Anonymous

• Its a vacation so going a little lax on bedtime, probably won't be the end of the world! Will he wear a pair of the soft flexible foam style ear plugs? You might try that if he's disturbed by you guys. They do make them for children. A joint room is a great idea if you don't mind spending a little extra money on them. I know a lot of Disney resorts you can hire a nanny to come in and watch the kids sleep while you go out too. Its usually around $10-$15 an hour. I don't know how you feel about that but its an option too. I wouldn't get a room with a balcony too many accidents can happen with little kids! Or get headphones for the television and watch it as loud as you want most hotel tvs have headphone jacks. Bring your laptops or reading books is quiet too. Anyway, just a few ideas. Hope something there helps! Have fun!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009