Do you eat expired food?

MIL is always bringing home expired foods (cookies, crackers, etc.) and eating it or feeding it to SS. I think it's gross. What's your opinion? Would you eat it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For me it depends on if it is a sell by date or a use by date. Quite frankly I am finishing up the milk right now that says sell by Feb 28
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i have...depends what it is.. breads- yes cause i can freeze it, cookies-yes because its hard for them to mold, canned soup-no cause ive bought it once and it smelled bad.

depends
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sure do. There are some places around here you can buy it that way. The exp. date on food is the date that the stores aren't supposed to sell it by. It doesn't mean it's not good. I worked in a restaurant for 7 years and we would throw away at least a dozen fresh baked pies A DAY because they were "expired" They were still good to eat but we were only allowed to keep them on the shelf to sell for 24 hours once they were baked... The stuff in the store is the same way. Now if it's something like milk or yougert I will smell it first to make sure it's still good but even that stuff should give you at least 7 days of freshness past the exp date.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hell to the NO! I am and will always be a date hoe. I don't eat anything after the expiration date. I will toss it in a heartbeat, unless my husband eat it first. Wait there is one thing...... ground beef, if it has been frozen. Once it has been thawed it must be eaten that day or its going in the trash.
    renea23

Answer by renea23 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• lets see.....expired milk can be called sour cream or yogurt!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Of course.
    Anonymous

• Heck ya! I buy stuff from the Wonder Bread Store regularly. In fact I won't buy my bread anywhere else. Everything is past the sell by date, but its still good and you get it for WAY cheap! I've walked out of there with about $30.00 worth of bread and cookies etc for like $12.00.

Milk I"m careful about, but there are some things like meat and such that can be frozen. Also, sour cream has a use by date, but it's still good for FOREVER after the date. It kind of depends on what it is I guess, but I'm not too cautious about it.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• if it's been frozen on or before expiration date, and used the day it is thawed. bread, if it still looks/feels ok, other than that i'm pretty picky.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i worked for a grocery distributer for a while and it all depends on the item and the way that the date code is written. We would pull out of date items from the shelfs of stores and then they would be sold to employees for like 5 bucks a banana box then the rest would be sold to a liquidator company. not everything was out of date some just had expried promotions on them so they were liquidated.

many items are good for several months past the sell by date sometimes even years past the sell by date. We would often look at other vendors products and you would be suprised by how many items in the regular grocery strore are "out of date" or very near to their date. many people dont even think of checking dated at the store or if they do the item gets placed in the pantry and used well past the sell by date

Milk is one thing that i dont drink after the sell by date it always tastes off but yogurt sour cream etc 7day +
    Anonymous

• yes. i don't trash it until it looks or smells bad.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009