Newfoundlands.

I really want a Newfoundland dog.
To everyone who has one:

What do you think? Share your stories, please. I want to learn everything I can before getting a new addition to the family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I manage a dog kennel. We have an 8 year old boy that visits frequently. They chose him as he is not an energetic dog. Pretty much a couch potato....which is fine for their personality. They had a baby a year ago, and the dog fell in love, but was "bothering" it. ha. Meaning it's curiosity kept bringing him to the bassinet and crib and he kept bumping it to wake up and see the baby.
    The grooming part is a nightmare. They don't brush him often, so he will come in looking a mess. And they don't trim his feet which can be very painful to him in the snow. We shave his butt (called a sanitary clip). But he is one big hairy mess!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Good luck in finding your perfect puppy. Don't give up or settle for second best. Aren't Newfies pretty rare in the U.S. too?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Newfoundlands aren't all that rare, I see them in the paper for sale all the time (in my area anyway). They are great dogs! A friend of mine had a couple and they were very sweet and laid back dogs. They are super good with kids too.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 6:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• the bigger they are the kid friendlier they are. you can do online research by typing their breed in. they are super great with kids and i think healthy too.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My aunt used to own several newfies. They were all very nice- big, laid back, placid dogs. The one I remember best was named Murphy, as a small child I used to sit on top of him and he never even seemed to mind! The only cons that I can think of is that they eat a lot so you will have to make sure you have the budget for lots of food, and like some other larger breeds they sometimes don't live as long as smaller breeds.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have never owned one, but when I was looking into getting a dog when I was pregnant, several people recommended newfoundlands because they are very good with kids. Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I had a Newfie and Silver Lab mix, and she was hands down the best dog I've ever owned! She was wonderful with kids and had a silly personality. Unfortunatly I lost her after only a short year of having her to Blastomycosis...one of the hardest things i've ever delt with. She was gentle with all my animals, big and small, and loved my nephews who where ages 4 and 2 at the time. I had horses and she was very respectful of them and even became good friends with an orphan foal we had born on our farm, they had a very close attachment, and with the foal being an orphan i was like his serrogant mother and so he would follow me EVERYWHERE and while i would do barn chores Abbey (was her name) would play with him and keep and eye on him. She was a wonderful dog, I would give anything to get another just like her. By almost a yr old (before the blasto took effect) she weighed 110lbs and by the time she was put down she weighed only 65.
    luvin_lil_kicks

Answer by luvin_lil_kicks at 11:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009