Laws Against Christmas in US and England...

There were laws passed in the early to mid 1700s that listed the celebration of Christmas and the display of Christmas trees as federal offence in the US...

In 1644, the English Parliament passed similar laws.

I was looking to find copies of these laws and the acts repealing them...

Anyone know where I could find it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry, the laws in the US were from the mid to late 1600's not the 1700's... My Bad!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• did you check wikepedia? they have everything!
    katecole

Answer by katecole at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Answered by: katecole
    View Answers did you check wikepedia? they have everything!

I don't trust Wikepedia. The information you get there is often very bias and sometimes plain wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I hope some of these have helped or have sent you in the right direction ...lol... I like history... :)
    http://www.ravelinks.com/forums/f149/the-puritan-ban-on-christmas-60474/

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/ban.shtml

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It was the Puritans (Christian extremists) who had Christmas banned.  Basically they felt that people were having too much fun and in true Christian fashion that was just not acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Reformation_into_the_19th_century

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• u r really digging aren't u?
    Anonymous

• It's possible some of those laws are still on the "books." Lots of outdated laws are just ignored.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't trust Wikepedia. The information you get there is often very bias and sometimes plain wrong.

Here's the trick to Wikipedia - don't take it as truth, but as a place to collect sources. When you see things there with footnote notations at the end, click them, and it will take you to the bottom of the article where they list the source material for the wiki article. Use THOSE source, google them, or if you have to, print the list and hit the library, and read what was written in their source material. You can accept or reject each source as you see fit, but you'll be able to see the full context of what was pulled out for the wiki article that way, and, if you're lucky, the source will have more sources of its own you can track down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You always have such interesting questions
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 4:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009