We can design are cars, homes and cloths and now our children

well ladies the time has arrived...the owner of a fertility institute in Los Angeles says, starting in six months parents will be able to choose their babies features. Options include everything from hair, eyes color, and skin tone.

The technology is known as pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, and was originally designed to pinpoint and treat a variety of diseases.

Do you think we need to regulate/oversight on this billion dollar business?

geminisummerz

Asked by geminisummerz at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think science is a great thing, and the fact that they can do this to begin with is amazing....BUT...we have become a people of instant gratification and selfishness. everything has to have a label, a designer on it. IMO~its sad so many people have forgotten that the greatest Designer of all could give them the perfect baby for no cost....
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think this is cool but abslutely totally ridiculous!!! Whatever happened with being happy with a healthy baby? What happens if one picks out blond hair blue eyes tan skin and the baby comes out with red hair green eyes and WHITE WHITE WHTIE PALE skin?? Then they are dissapointed because its not what they ordered.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If it really is a billion dollar business, then it won't matter who thinks it is wrong, it'll happen anyway. I personally think that if you choose what features your child will have, then you are a shallow minded person. I know that some people may say they are doing it because certain features are more pleasing than others and they want their child to be successful. But if you are successful because of how you look, then you are not really successful in my opinion. If we have souls, I am sure they all look the same.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:52 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• that is just stupid im sorry and in my opinion ugly people will still havae ugly babies short people will have short kids and tall people will have tall babies and so forth unless they want to completely rewrite your dna and your husbands dna then that is how it will be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Eugenics gone too far. I think this is disguisting!
    Anonymous

• What I wonder is what happens when these kids grow up? Are parents going to be unhappy with the way they look and say stuff like "I should have had your eyes brown instead of blue-what was I thinking?"

I think that this idea is crazy. Why be soo picky?
    Anonymous

• I think it is crazy too. I have 3 beautiful kids and all three were concieved in love. Isn't that what you would want your kid to know. Not that you special ordered them so you could love them cause they are beautiful? That is just so wrong. I would never want my kids to think for a moment that I couldn't love them just the way they are. And by the way none of the three kids have them same eye color, or same skin tone. One tans, one sort of does, and one is pale as all get out. Now would I love them more if they all taned really well or all had blue eyes? Heck NO! WHat are these people thinking??? YEah or changing diseases, shame on them for changing the child!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree it is amazing what can be done but yes this is disgusting imo.

The height of arrogance and selfishness.What happens to the "mistakes" ?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have dreaded this day for many years. Children are not cheeseburgers. You do not get to have it your way. While it would be nice to be able to avoid certain health problems, picking hair, eye and skin color should not be an option. If they ever start letting parents pick the sex of their child the population balance will be severely harmed. Don't fuck with Mother Nature.
    Anonymous

• I think this is against so many things in my book. Any parent who would prefer to "design" their child and bot be happy with what you naturally create has serious issues in my book.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009