when did your kids learn to sit up? is 8 months outrageous? he keeps toppling over and shows no interest in sitting. he is creeping though...

shini

Asked by shini at 11:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was about 8.5-9 months when he got steady. I practiced with him leaning in the corner of the couch, and maybe putting a toy near him that he'd want to get. He'll figure out how to get it and it'll strengthen his muscles.
    Braydensmommy25

Answer by Braydensmommy25 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• we did tummy time a lot
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Mine didn't really push himself up to sit up until about 9 months. He could mostly sit steadily by 6 months, but you had to put him there. He was walking 3 days after his birthday though, and didn't have any interest in pulling himself up until 3 weeks before that! They all get things in different ways.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 6:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter just started sitting steadily to play at 8 months. i thought something was wrong, but all of the sudden one day i looked over and she had sat herself up like she had been doing it all her life! try not to compare him to other babies or you'll drive yourself nuts (i guess i should listen to my own advice sometimes...)
    ZoesMommy0907

Answer by ZoesMommy0907 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I bet he is not "late", especially since boys sometimes progress more slowly than girls do. Just make sure he is not spending much time confined (car seat, carrier, stroller) and has plenty of time being carried in your arms (BEST exercise for balance, coordination and increasing strength). I don't mean being carried strapped into a baby pack. And the rest of the time facilitate him roaming freely around the room you're in by crawling, rolling, whatever. Then you'll know that he's getting everything he needs for his mind to gain command over his body and for his body to GAIN STRENGTH.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son was sitting up and crawling at 51/2 months so i'm on the complete opposite spectrum than you...he's done everything early and it's kind of freaky how fast he's growing! I'm sure your baby is fine...i wouldn't worry about him and let him do things at his pace, just encourage and praise him!!
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 12:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2008