what about ppl who say...

"U are what ur father is"
As far as im concerned... u are what ur raised to be!
My daughters father is Haitian... does that make my daughter Haitian.
Im American! Born here, Raised here, probably gon die here.
I take care of baby gurl, all day everyday. Nothin Haitian over here. never
had a Hatian bite 2 eat. Knows nuthin of here Haitian fam, Never seen the inside of their haitian house. I mean i do recognize that part of her and she is welcome 2 (whn she can make the decision) ... but there's nothin i can do about it. she's american, rite?

StarrCooKie

Asked by StarrCooKie at 11:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think the statement is intended only for nationality purposes. Yes, if she is raised American, then she is American. But I think the statement you're using is meant to describe character traits more than nationality.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well of course!!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I've never heard that statement before.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think they are talking more about race, not necessarily nationality. There is a difference. If the mother of a child is white and the father is black, you tend to say the child is black. Typically, if a person has anything other than white in them, they are labeled that race.
    Anonymous

• she is haitian.there is nothing wrong with that.or should i say she has haitian in her she is american.i work with a hatian man at work and he is the best man in the world.my neighbor is from cape verde.she doesnt tell the kids.she told them they were australian.well the girl is 10 and it is clear what she is.i dont get these people who are embarassed who they are...maybe that cause i am wasp.my mil thinks its a bad thing though that i am not catholic.oh well we are who we are...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If someone asks....I would say she's American but her father is Haitian. My friend used to say her family is from Baghdad and leave it at that.
    Anonymous

• ppl always ask if her father is Puerto Rican when they see her, lol... she doesnt look PR either and lawd knows he doesnt. so i just dnt gettit. I jus say her father is Hatian. if they cant figure out that shez 1/2 haitian, then there is a prblm somewhr else. lol. I dont have an issue with her acknowledging that, but ummm, shez as american as a gurl can get, by default i guess ;)...

what is she???? my Baby, that works for me!
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009