Any Ebay sellers out there?

Does anyone out there sell on Ebay? And is quite successful at it? I am trying to find a way to make some extra income, but don't know how some of the people on Ebay get the items they are selling so much of?
I'm selling some of my mothers art for her, and am EXTREMELY glad to do it for her, BUT this does not affect my income in a positive way. Any ideas or suggestions on how to come by great items to sell? Or how to reach more buyers? I tried installing the Ebay to go Widget, on my Page, But each time I try it cannot find my auction item or even my ebay ID, so I don't know whats going on. Any help would be appreciated!

ItalianMomma04

Asked by ItalianMomma04 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ebay was great years ago, but the past couple years have been very dissapointing. There's just too much of everything on ebay anymore and nothing is unique and special. Plus your listings get so lost, no one even finds them. It's just too BIG.
    Bonanzle.com might be another option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You could start by going to local yard sales and finding super cheap items that you can resale. Another idea is to clean out the house. You'd be surprised what will sell. I sold my old jewelery from past relationships and made a bunch. I had a ring that cost around 248. Two years later I sold it for 200. If you work at it you can make some money.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You need to find what popular items are selling, what is worth something, and if there is a demand for certain things. Then hit garage/yard sales and thrift stores. Keep your prices just a bit lower than everyone else's, and the popular thing right now is free shipping. You've got to be aware of what selling fees and shipping costs are, though, if you are going to offer free shipping and be able to make a profit.
    I found discontinued Corelle dishes at a yard sale and sold them on eBay. I've made afghans and sold them. Rare collectibles, Christmas collectibles, etc. Things like Pampered Chef, KitchenAid, Tupperware, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I've sold on eBay for years, some are better than others. At one point I was making about $300 in profit a week. Last year it got really slow and instead of still doing it on the side I stopped and got a part time job. Well, I've injured my back so I've started with eBay again. In the couple of weeks I've been back on eBay i'm averaging about $100 in profit, but I hope to increase this soon. I use a dropshipper that I've used for a few years with jewelry. Many dropshippers are a waste of time with overpriced items and high fees. But I've also sold wedding favors that I made, new age items I made and i've purchased clothes at thrift stores and sold them. I once purchased a Ralph Lauren Tank dress for $2 at the Salvation Army in excellent condition. I sold it for about $50 on eBay! I will only buy name brands like that. I also sometimes buy things on clearance. I once got Scrapbooks for $5 and sold them for $30-$50
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i only sell things randomly to make a better profit when i know something is a big seller and in limited supply, for example i couldn't find a super why costume, then found a lot of them, made a ton on that, then the bounce back racer last Xmas was hard to find and i got some of those, i wanted to make $$ on a wii fit but couldn't find any,,, dh misunderstood and bought one for me!! i was kinda pissed.. .like i could have made 200 bucks on this !!! omg.... it is just like a hobby to me... i also see lg groups of maternity clothes being sold for good profits.. i am pregsand have nice maternity clothes from nice stores and instead of passing them down i will sell them as sets..base iton what you know you can get and others might not have in their area....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i profit about 1200 per month on ebay right now this is down from between 2-3,000 last year per month. my sources for things are not currently producing high turn around items so im doing more listings and incuring more fees on items that dont bring in as much $$$

I buy most of my items from freight recovery or UPS lost or damaged parcles or freight most items are in excellent condition but the packaging may be a bit distressed. Im sure if I explored the market on some other items I could be making more $$ but right now Im sticking to high end plumbing fixtures, upper end sporting goods and upper end housewear items and a few toys.

I also will hit yard sales and pick things up here and there If the item is for resale I will pay what the person is asking vs trying to talk them down. then there is always the crud in the house to sell.

good luck
    Anonymous

• To Anon 2:59, I loved your answer but had a few more questions for you, regarding selling items on Ebay.....if your comfortable sending me a message I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for answering, they were all wonderful suggestions and I am sure to try them all!!
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009