Stay At home Mom, Feeling like a Loser

So I have been a stay at home Mom for years, and with the recent economic hardships money is getting really tight. My husband was laid off and we are having a hard time making ends meet. I have been looking for a job, BUT I am feeling like a total loser, because I don't have a resume and don't have much work history. I honestly don't know what to do. I get Messages from Moms on how to work from home, but it all has a major startup fee or something. Does anyone else feel like this? Like it's pointless to even try to find a job, because you feel like no one will hire you anyways? I wish there was a job I could do at home, with NO start up fee or something,or a good company out there wanting to hire me in something I can do working from home, but don't know how to find them.

ItalianMomma04

Asked by ItalianMomma04 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you have at least a GED or high school diploma why not be a substitute teacher. That is what I do. I work everyday subbing. You dont have to work everyday. The best part is you choose the days that you work. I am also a fulltime online college student, have 2 kids and married. I was a sahm for a long time too. good luck
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 12:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• What about working at a daycare to get some more work history. Usually, the child care expenses for employees are free or very reduced. You could be around your kids and a lot of times, they have flexible schedules so you can work part-time if you wanted.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• go on one of the resume groups to get help with resume. You can actually make SAHM as experience. Then go apply at Manpower, office team or other temp services in your area. I apply at 4 when I am actively looking and always tell them they are the only one I applied at. Then just wait and see. Sometimes you can kind housekeeping jobs or filing jobs to get you started and the foot in the door. I always start out low and move up in all the companies I have been with.

If you want an at home job I am sure they are out there. I don't like them personally because it seems to take more time away from my family because I am always trying to grow the business. I suck with balance so for me an out of home job 9-5 works. You maybe like my previous upline who could balance and made 6 figures a year working from home.
    Anonymous

• What did you do before you became a SAHM?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yeah, I was going to say Day Care. I'm in the same boat, kinda. Right now I've been whoring myself out babysitting but its not regular paychecks. Thankfully my husband's still working. You could try applying at a grocery store. Not the most glamorous job, but they usually always need cashiers. And some of them offer health insurance after a while, plus unions guarantee raises. that's about all the union is good for, though. And I wouldn't recommend Safeway bc that's who my husband works for and if it weren't for the fact that we had to force them into giving us our insurance, he would have left. I hear Giant is good, though...just a thought.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 12:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• First of all, of course you are not a loser! You didn't plan on your husband losing his job. I too have been a SAHM for over 7 years now. Because I lost my job. You have an employee mindset. Just like I did. I was blessed with a Home Business. Did I have the start up cost up front? NO! Did I want change in my life and my house! YES! So I borrowed the money, just like we do when we want that car, jewelry, living room furniture etc.

When you work a job from home, you DO NOT pay anything. But when you want to seriously OWN your life and not depend on a job then the best thing to do is BE YOUR OWN BOSS! You chose to stay home for your family. Of course your resume want be up to par! I am so grateful I don't have to worry about applying for a job EVER. Learn how to look for the right job from home if you don't see having a home business. I wish you all the best!
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 1:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• First of all you are not a loser. Many of us have choosen to stay home with the kids and take care of the house. It's greatly under appreciated by many! I've only ever been a cashier becuase I didn't do anything after high school....live and learn. I've sold on eBay and i've tried many direct selling companies. And trust me, don't go further in debt with one of these companies. It will not make you the kind of money you need and most likely you'll end up worse off. If you have to, go and get a job as a cashier somewhere...it's money in your pocket. Since I've worked at Wegmans a few years I make $8.50 an hour, which is piddly to some but hey part time at 20 hours puts $150+ in our pocket a week to help. Of course I've hurt my back and I'm only getting half that now on disability, but my eBay auctions are almost making the same as I made at Wegmans!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thanks for all the kind words. They definatly help with the way I feel. Here's hoping I can find something soon. Thanks you guys!!
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009