How and when should I teach DD4 to be a bit more private about her body?

I love that DD4 runs around naked and doesn't have any hang ups and that she doesn't feel ashamed or anything, and I DO NOT want to make her feel that way...I love that she and her brother (2YO) take baths together and think NOTHING of it, but she does need to learn that she needs her clothes on when company comes over or that we don't talk about mommy's "boobs" in public or that Daddy has a penis, etc... how do I get her to understand that concept without screwing with her fabulous innocence and feeling of freedom? Also, how do I explain good and bad touch without scaring the carp out of her? I want her safe, but I don't want to cause a fear that isn't there ...

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 12:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• for my kids, they get an hour of naked time a day, we set our schedule around it. i explained to my 4 y/o that it is totally okay to be naked, but there is a time and a place for it. the 'words' in public, i told her that some people are embarassed by these words, and its better to keep them for at home where we're not going to embarass other people. and the 'bad touch', we told dd that her parts are perfectly ok for her to touch, and for us to help her wipe if she needs it, but other people are not to touch, and to tell them no and tell an adult if they do, cause that is not ok. that's what we've got so far, and it's working pretty well. i make sure to remind her that shes not doing anything wrong when she does what she does lol.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My dd is three and I told her that some of her "area as she calls them" are private and that its ok to be naked at home when there is no company around but if someone comes she need to wear clothes because they do want to see her naked butt.
    As far as good touch bad touch I just told her that only Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, or Grandpa or a doctor if mommy says its ok are allowed to touch her private areas. If anybody else touches her she should tell mommy or daddy.
    She seems to understand and does not seem scared or anything.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009