Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can an adoption be reversed if the father is found??

My sister just gave birth to a baby boy, she is currently in the court room giving him up for adoption. I know who the father is and I told him. Two or more months ago he sent a letter to the courts and her adoption attorney stating that he had reason to believe he was the father and wanted a DNA test done. I have reason to believe her attorney is ignoring the letter. He called the courts and was declined enterance into the court room via phone..... but the letter he sent is being submitted to the judge. If the adoption goes through can he still fight for the child or has he lost it forever??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (14)
  • I think he can still fight for his rights.

    Answer by miriamz at 12:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • I am so glad that he wants to fight for his rights. Yes, if he is proven to be the father then he will have rights to the child and would have to sign off on the adoption as well. I would tell him to call a legal clinic asap, ask the courts if he can meet with the court facilitator and find out what steps he needs to take if he wants to try to do this attorney free, and contact an attorney asap.

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • OK, I am not an attorney, so I may be wrong, and it may vary by state, but this is how I understand it.....As far as I know, if the adoption has not been finalized yet and the birth father's rights have not been terminated (either voluntarily or by the court), he can try to keep the adoption from happening. If you can prove that the birth father has not been an emotional or financial support of any kind to the birth mother during her pregnancy (ie, a one-night-stand), or is unable to provide a reasonable means of support on his own to the child, he probably will not succeed. Did BM identify him as the baby's BF? Is he on the birth certificate? Has the court terminated his parental rights yet?

    Answer by KateKevinAdopt at 12:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • If this man can prove that he sent the letter to that lawyer he has some serious explaining to do and can loose his right to practice law. That is a very serious offense. While I am for bparents rights to raise their children before termination of parental rights and before a placement of a child - why did you go behind your sister's back? Your family drama that you helped create is horrifying. As a responsible adult you should have been upfront and you had the power to go to the guardian ad litem or other responsible authority to make it known that a parent wants to claim his child. Drama is for those who are not very mature.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • EXCUSE ME MR/MRS/MISS!!!! I didn't know what I needed to do. I went behind my sister's back because what she was doing was wrong, and I wasn't in a good place then to completely understand myself or what was going on. U know nothing of my family drama....... and u know nothing of me. I came here looking for answers, not to be dumped on by someone who thinks they are higher then me and can't even put a name with their statement!! I am more mature beyond my years and maybe if you would sit and listen to the whole story and not just want to want them you might understand. GOOD DAY!

    Answer by calygreen at 1:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • If he is trying to do show that he is the father - or at least ensure that he knows he is not the father - and anyone has denied him that right then the adoption is proceeding on very shaky ground. I sure hope his letter gets to the judge - or to the media to help this poor man who needs to know if it is his child in question.

    Calygreen - all we can do is what we know what to do at the time. Follow your heart on this one (as I think you have been) don't let anyone put you down for working your way through this mess.

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • It happened here in Michigan a number of years ago. A girl was adopted and the Bmom had named a guy on the birth certificate that wasn't the bdad. The bdad later came back and sued for custody of the little girl and won. The girl was like 3 or 4. This was a little over 12 years ago. It happened right before I placed my daughter.

    In my case, the bdad had been contacted and knew about the adoption.  He also wanted a DNA test and wrote letters to the court.  The judge read these letters into record (the bdad didn't show because of car trouble) and decided to terminate his rights. 



    Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • If his rights were terminated through publication then I don't think he can. He also should have registered on the Punitive Father Registry, also.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Calygreen, I am with Port, on this did what you felt was right, and so kudos for stepping up to the plate. I know that this will inevitably cause you personal- family distress, so keep your head high, and do what you must, without any shame or guilt. Dads are left out of the loop too many times. Good luck and on behalf of this child, thank you for giving a child a chance to have a tie-bond with its GOD given family of origin. I also know, if this Dad was a bad abusive, demented ,mental case, you would not have came forth, for that is the ONLY reason I believe a child should be placed for relinquishment! Too many times a father is not told, and made to look as a lower form of society...and this is not morally right......JMHO...C.J.

    Answer by ceejay1 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • I hope for everyone's sake that this man is able to have the DNA test. His rights need to be respected, and the hopeful adoptive parents would not want to lose a child after falling in love with him or her. Everything needs to be done correctly.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.